Register to reply

How to fit distribution models for a frequency analysis?

by median27
Tags: analysis, distribution, frequency, models
Share this thread:
median27
Dec21-13, 10:09 PM
P: 60
I have a rainfall (mm) vs. year plot of a catch basin (see Excel file below) and I would like to get it's frequency curve. But before that, I need to fit certain distribution models (i.e. log-Pearson Type III and Gumbel Distributions) to my plot to be able to know the fittest model that I can use for my frequency analysis. How will I do that?

(I'll measure the fit using Chi-square goodness of fit.)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx rainfall.xlsx (10.9 KB, 4 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
SteamKing
Dec21-13, 10:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,557
It's not clear what you mean by 'frequency curve'. Your data appear to be cumulative rainfall amounts sampled on an annual basis.
median27
Dec21-13, 11:13 PM
P: 60
The plotted data are the "observed" data for the annual maximum rainfall - daily basis. I need to get the "predicted" rainfall depths using the said distributions above and perform the fitting test. The fittest distribution will be the appropriate distribution to model the rainfall frequency of the catch basin. My only problem is, I don't know how to get the "predicted" rainfall depth which is needed in performing the chi-square goodness of fit test.

Register to reply