Finding the Perfect DC Motor for Your Small Robotic Platform

In summary, a DC motor to power a small 50lb robotic platform with maximum speed of 10mi/hr should have an rpm rating of 420 and 300. Two motors should be able to handle 25lb load each.
I'm looking for a DC Motor to power a small 50lb robotic platform with maximum speed of 10mi/hr.

What should I be looking for?

I've made some basic assumptions of 8" or 12" diameter wheels and so the rpm rating should 420 rpm and 300rpm respectively to attain 10mph. I plan to use at least two motors for steering capability so each needs to handle 25lb load max.

What I'm looking for a commercial DC motor capable of driving the platform and its associated gearbox if needed.

So far I've seen the Segway RMP which uses brushless DC motors but doesn't provide the spec for it. I figure it would be too powerful since the Segway platform is 200lb load capable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try searching for electric scooter motors/repair parts. There are many places on the net that sell them. They come in many sizes and a smaller one would work for your description of needs. A 250-300w version would probably work well for you.

These are normally brushed motors. Some even come with reduction gears built into them. They come in 12/24/36/48 volt and from about 100 to 1000 watt versions. All kinds of sprockets and belt pulleys are available for them also.

I use them quite often in projects because they tend to be much less expensive than commercial/industrial small lower voltage motors.

You can get smaller brushless versions of bike motor hub drives also. I think about 250 watts is about as low as they go and up to a couple of horsepower if you want to spend the money. Those can be direct or internal gear drives. They would probably also be a little more difficult to use with a robotics platform due to the mechanical differences but could be used.

It this is a home type project consider looking at Craigslist or something like that. You can often pick up the smaller electric scooters very cheaply from those sources. I've been getting most of my motors, controllers, throttles,etc... that way for about 1/3 of what I can buy them off the net.

I've found 90% of the time, the only thing wrong with the scooter is dead batteries and parents simply don't want to spend the $50-$125 needed depending on to replace them. The majority of them have low hours on them too as they almost always have the original set of tires on them and are rarely even halfway worn out when I get them.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the scooter idea. I've been looking at Baldor motors (pricey) and thinking of battery drill replacement motors but then the issue of gearing came in. The scooter idea is appealing because they are geared and the right speed too. I might even be able to use the tires as well. Thanks.

1. What is a DC motor and how does it work?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using a magnetic field to create rotational motion. The motor has two main components: a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part). When an electrical current is passed through the stator, it creates a magnetic field which interacts with the magnetic field of the rotor, causing it to rotate.

2. What are the advantages of using a DC motor for a robot project?

There are several advantages of using a DC motor for a robot project, including:

• High speed and torque: DC motors can achieve high speeds and provide high torque, making them suitable for a variety of robotic applications.
  • Easy speed control: The speed of a DC motor can be easily controlled by adjusting the voltage or current supplied to it.
  • Compact and lightweight: DC motors are usually small and lightweight, making them ideal for use in compact robots.
  • Simple construction: DC motors have a simple design and are easy to maintain, making them cost-effective for robot projects.
  • Efficient energy conversion: DC motors have a high efficiency in converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, making them more energy-efficient than other types of motors.

3. How do I choose the right DC motor for my robot project?

When choosing a DC motor for a robot project, there are a few factors to consider:

• Power requirements: Determine the power and speed requirements of your robot and choose a motor that can meet those requirements.
  • Motor size and weight: Consider the size and weight of the motor to ensure it is suitable for your robot's design.
  • Motor type: There are different types of DC motors, such as brushed and brushless, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Choose the type that best suits your project's needs.
  • Motor control: Determine how you will control the motor (e.g. with a motor driver or microcontroller) and choose a motor that is compatible with your chosen control method.
  • Budget: Consider the cost of the motor and choose one that fits within your project's budget.

4. How do I connect a DC motor to my robot's power supply?

The method of connecting a DC motor to a power supply will depend on the type of motor and the power supply. In general, you will need to connect the motor's positive and negative terminals to the corresponding terminals on the power supply. It is recommended to use a motor driver or controller to regulate the amount of current and voltage supplied to the motor for better control and protection.

5. How can I extend the life of my DC motor for my robot project?

To extend the life of your DC motor for a robot project, you can:

• Choose a motor with the appropriate power and speed ratings for your project to prevent overheating and damage.
  • Use a motor driver or controller to regulate the current and voltage supplied to the motor.
  • Regularly clean and maintain the motor to prevent dust and debris from affecting its performance.
  • Avoid overloading the motor by ensuring it is not operating beyond its rated capacity.
  • Allow the motor to cool down after extended use to prevent overheating.