Linear amplifier question, Coarse Gain/Fine Gain.

In summary, the speaker is currently conducting a spectroscopy lab using a scintillator and Cs-137 to obtain a spectrum. They have calibrated the spectrum using the known gamma energy for Cs-137 and are now trying to use the same calibration for a Co-60 spectrum. However, the coarse and fine gains had to be adjusted for the Co-60 data, and the speaker is unsure how to factor in the fine gain. They will need to consult the equipment manuals for guidance.
Tito_Tileto
I'm currently doing a spectroscopy lab where you use a scintillator and Cs-137 to obtain a Cs-137 spectrum. I calibrated this spectrum using the known gamma energy for Cs-137 at 662 Kev at the photo peak. I am now trying to use this calibration for a Co-60 spectrum. The problem is that when I obtained my Cs-137 Spectrum I had the coarse gain at x16 and fine gain at x5. When I was taking data for the Co-60 I had to adjust the coarse gain to x8 and fine gain to x3.5. I understand the coarse gain is half that of the Cs-137 but how would I factor in the fine gain? For example for Cs-137 the photo peak was on channel 935 at 662Kev. So if I adjust the gain by half then 662Kev should correspond to channel 467.5 for the Co-60 spectrum. How does the fine gain adjust the factor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are going to have to resort to the manuals for the equipment you are using. There is no "standard" answer.

What is a linear amplifier?

A linear amplifier is an electronic device that increases the amplitude of an input signal without distorting its waveform. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

How does a linear amplifier work?

A linear amplifier works by using active components such as transistors or vacuum tubes to amplify the input signal. These components are biased to operate in their linear region, meaning that the output signal is an exact reproduction of the input signal but with a larger amplitude.

What is coarse gain and fine gain in a linear amplifier?

Coarse gain and fine gain are two types of gain adjustment used in linear amplifiers. Coarse gain refers to a large increase in signal amplitude, while fine gain allows for a smaller, more precise adjustment. Some amplifiers may have a separate control for each type of gain.

Why is gain adjustment important in a linear amplifier?

Gain adjustment is important in a linear amplifier to ensure that the output signal is at the desired level. Too little gain can result in a weak output signal, while too much gain can cause distortion. By adjusting the gain, the amplifier can be optimized for different input signals and applications.

What are some common applications of linear amplifiers?

Linear amplifiers are commonly used in audio systems, such as in amplifiers for music or speakers. They are also used in radio frequency applications, such as in telecommunications and broadcasting. Additionally, linear amplifiers are used in scientific and medical equipment, as well as in industrial and military applications.