Register to reply

Tight binding fermi surface

by aaaa202
Tags: binding, fermi, surface, tight
Share this thread:
aaaa202
Mar30-14, 08:58 AM
P: 1,005
On the attached file the tight binding dispersion for a 2d square lattice is described. It is then assumed that the fermi surface is a square. My question is: How can it ever be a perfect square when the dispersion looks as it does.
Also can someone explain:
Why does the half filled case correspond to:
-1 electron per lattice site (why will 2 electrons not occupy the ground state etc.)
- chemical potential μ=0
Attached Thumbnails
fermisurface.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Douasing
Apr25-14, 10:31 AM
P: 33
Quote Quote by aaaa202 View Post
On the attached file the tight binding dispersion for a 2d square lattice is described. It is then assumed that the fermi surface is a square. My question is: How can it ever be a perfect square when the dispersion looks as it does.
Also can someone explain:
Why does the half filled case correspond to:
-1 electron per lattice site (why will 2 electrons not occupy the ground state etc.)
- chemical potential μ=0
I suppose that the formula (1) on the attachment file supplied by you has already answered your question,i.e., "How can it ever be a perfect square when the dispersion looks as it does."

Not noly tight binding can describe it,but also perturbation theory can support it.
t!m
Apr27-14, 11:07 PM
P: 145
You are exactly right that in principle 2 electrons could occupy each lattice site; this would be the "completely filled" case. If there is only 1 electron per lattice site, we call that "half filled."

Douasing
Apr29-14, 10:22 PM
P: 33
Tight binding fermi surface

Quote Quote by t!m View Post
You are exactly right that in principle 2 electrons could occupy each lattice site; this would be the "completely filled" case. If there is only 1 electron per lattice site, we call that "half filled."
Actually,I think the more important problem here is "how to caltulate the fermi level for actual computation",for example,how to make it come true in some DFT softwares ,and how about its effictiveness,and so on.

Register to reply