What is the definition of max and min for multiple numbers?

In summary: The key point is that the complex numbers are not orderable, and therefore there is no definition of maximum or minimum for them. In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of the maximum and minimum functions for two and three numbers, as well as the issue of ordering complex numbers and the concept of an ordered field. It is noted that the complex numbers are not orderable, and therefore there is no definition of maximum or minimum for them.
Jhenrique
I found in the wiki a definition for the max of 2 numbers:
d3db50d593c35829b03063ad8e62346e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_function

But is definition is only for 2 numbers, how would be the definition for 3 numbers?

Also, which is the definition of minimum function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
min(a,b) = (a+b-|a-b|)/2.

I can't see anything analogous for 3 numbers.

Jhenrique said:

But is definition is only for 2 numbers, how would be the definition for 3 numbers?
Maybe you could figure one out.

In any case, being able to calculate the maximum of two numbers is much more important than being able to calculate the maximum of three numbers. You can do this by picking any two of them, and calculating which of the two is larger. Then compare that number with the third number. Whichever number is larger is the maximum of the three numbers. You can extend this idea to four, five, ..., n numbers.
Jhenrique said:
Also, which is the definition of minimum function?
$$Min(a, b) = \frac{a + b - |a - b|}{2}$$

The formula for the maximum of two numbers is straightforward if you look at the geometry.
$$Max(a, b) = \frac{a + b + |a - b|}{2} = \frac{a + b}{2} + \frac{|a - b|}{2}$$
The first fraction on the right is the number that is midway between the points a and b. The second fraction is half the distance between the two points. From the midway point, if you add half the distance between the two points, you end up at whichever point is on the right; i.e., the larger number.

In the formula I wrote for the minimum, the only difference is that we are subtracting half the distance between the two points, which gets us to the point on the left - the smaller number.

Likes 1 person
Jhenrique said:

Can't you recurse? max(a,b,c) = max(max(a,b),c).

Those formulas not says too when a complex number is greater another?

Jhenrique said:
Those formulas not says too when a complex number is greater another?

Complex numbers are not orderable. It is meaningless to speak of one complex number being greater than or less than another.

You can only say that about their magnitudes or arguments (within a defined range of angle measure).

Curious3141 said:
Complex numbers are not orderable. It is meaningless to speak of one complex number being greater than or less than another.

Note that when we say that the complex numbers are not orderable, it is not that one cannot come up with a sorting order for them. It is that one cannot come up with a sorting order that is consistent with the way the operations of addition and multiplication are expected to work with an order.

In particular, you want to be able to say that if a > 0 and b > 0 then ab > 0. But if you take a=b=i then ab = -1. That then requires that -1 > 0.

In other words, the complex numbers do not form an "ordered field". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordered_field

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Note that when we say that the complex numbers are not orderable, it is not that one cannot come up with a sorting order for them. It is that one cannot come up with a sorting order that is consistent with the way the operations of addition and multiplication are expected to work with an order.

In particular, you want to be able to say that if a > 0 and b > 0 then ab > 0. But if you take a=b=i then ab = -1. That then requires that -1 > 0.

In other words, the complex numbers do not form an "ordered field". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordered_field

I just saw this. I'm aware of the concept of an ordered field, I just didn't want to overcomplicate things when it's not really relevant here.

What is the definition of max and min?

Max and min are mathematical terms used to describe the largest and smallest values in a given set of data.

How are max and min calculated?

To find the max, you must compare all the values in a set of data and identify the highest value. To find the min, you must compare all the values in a set of data and identify the lowest value.

What is the difference between max and min?

The main difference between max and min is that max refers to the highest value in a set of data, while min refers to the lowest value. They are both used to describe the range of values in a data set.

Why are max and min important in data analysis?

Max and min are important in data analysis because they provide information about the spread of values in a data set. They can also help identify outliers or extreme values that may affect the overall analysis.

Can max and min be the same value?

Yes, it is possible for max and min to be the same value if there is only one value in the data set. In this case, the value would be both the largest and smallest value in the set.