P-adic numbers and the Ramanujan summation

• I
  • Thread starter Spathi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the Ramanujan summation is a sum that is used in physics for predicting the Casimir effect. It is also used in mathematics, specifically in the p-adic numbers. It is not very easy to obtain using p-adic numbers, and would require some additional assumptions to be made.
Spathi
TL;DR Summary
My question is: can the Ramanujan summation be relatively easily obtained using the p-acid numbers?
In mathematics, there is the Ramanujan summation:

$$1+2+3+4+...=-\frac{1}{12}$$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯

This sum is used in physics for predicting the Casimir effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

I have also heard that this sum was used in the string theory (more precisely, in the original bosonic string theory).

Then, in mathematics the p-adic numbers are used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-adic_number

My question is: can the Ramanujan summation be relatively easily obtained using the p-adic numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is what you need to know to even understand the Ramanujan summation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-extended-riemann-hypothesis-and-ramanujans-sum/
and here is explained what p-adic numbers are:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/counting-to-p-adic-calculus-all-number-systems-that-we-have/

Ramanujan's summation is based on classical analysis, i.e. it depends on the Euclidean metric that induces an Archimedean evaluation. The only connection to p-adic numbers that I am aware of would be Hasse's principle that primarily deals with polynomials, i.e. Diophantic expressions, not series. Since
$$
1+2+3+4+\ldots \neq -\dfrac{1}{12}
$$
it is not even clear how Hasse's principle could be applied to the continuation of Riemann's zeta-function, let alone being "easier obtained". p-adic numbers have at first glance absolutely nothing to do with Riemann's zeta-function, so the connection between them alone would be quite a challenge.

Spathi said:
My question is: can the Ramanujan summation be relatively easily obtained using the p-acid numbers?

I'm a little confused. What exactly do you think is the relationship between the p-adics and Ramanujan summation?

In any event, ##1+2+3+\ldots## does not converge ##p##-adically for any prime ##p.##

A quick internet search gave me reasonable results about p-adic Dirichlet functions (L-functions), so the question is not completely out of thin air. However, I haven't searched for results in English. The idea is to generalize Euler's formula
$$
\zeta(1-n)\;=\;-\dfrac{B_n}{n}
$$
and consider ##f(n) =(1-p^{n-1})\zeta(1-n)## (under some technical conditions on the domain) as a unique continuous function ##f\, : \,\mathbb{Z}_p\longrightarrow \mathbb{Q}_p.##

https://www.mathi.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfuetterer/texts/da_fuetterer.pdf

Infrared said:
I'm a little confused. What exactly do you think is the relationship between the p-adics and Ramanujan summation?

In any event, 1+2+3+… does not converge p-adically for any prime
If I am not mistaken, in the video I provided above, there it is shown, how with p-acics the following equation can be obtained:

$$1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4...=\dfrac{1}{1-x}$$

I don't remember how this equation is standardly obtained for x<1, somehow please remind. For x>1, if I am not mistaken, p-adics provide a proper way to get this sum. Maybe the Ramanujan summation and $$1+2+4+8+16...-1$$ are something very similar?
And one more question - maybe we should remove some axioms from "standard" mathematics to get alternative "hyberbolic" mathematics where these sums are fully correct?

1. What are P-adic numbers?

P-adic numbers are a type of number system that extends the traditional real numbers. They were first introduced by mathematician Kurt Hensel in 1897 and are named after the letter "p" which stands for "prime". P-adic numbers are useful in number theory, algebra, and analysis, and have applications in various areas of mathematics and physics.

2. How are P-adic numbers different from real numbers?

P-adic numbers are different from real numbers in several ways. Firstly, they are based on a different metric, called the p-adic metric, which measures the distance between two numbers. Secondly, unlike real numbers, P-adic numbers have infinite decimal expansions that can repeat infinitely in the same way. Lastly, P-adic numbers follow different rules of arithmetic, such as addition and multiplication, compared to real numbers.

3. What is the Ramanujan summation method?

The Ramanujan summation method is a mathematical technique used to assign a value to divergent series. It was developed by the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan and is based on the concept of analytic continuation. The Ramanujan summation method allows for the assignment of values to certain infinite series that would otherwise not have a defined value.

4. How are P-adic numbers and the Ramanujan summation related?

P-adic numbers and the Ramanujan summation are related through the use of P-adic analysis. P-adic analysis is a branch of mathematics that combines the concepts of P-adic numbers and analytic continuation. The Ramanujan summation method can be applied to P-adic numbers to assign values to certain divergent series, providing a more complete understanding of these numbers.

5. What are some applications of P-adic numbers and the Ramanujan summation?

P-adic numbers and the Ramanujan summation have various applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, they are used in number theory, algebra, and analysis, and have connections to other areas such as cryptography and coding theory. In physics, P-adic numbers have been used to describe phenomena in quantum mechanics and string theory. Additionally, the Ramanujan summation method has been applied in various areas of physics, including quantum field theory and statistical mechanics.