Miniature Bridge Design Ideas: Simple or Complex?

In summary, a group leader is tasked with building a bridge in 30 minutes using only play-dough, straws, and rubber bands. They are considering a king or queen post design due to time and material constraints, but are also open to other suggestions. However, the use of straws in compression may be problematic.
dabomb14
So I am the leader of a small group who has to build a bridge in 30 minutes on the last day of school. The only materials we can use are play-dough, straws, and rubber bands and it has to stretch 30 cm between two tables. Though I was looking for some ideas of a bridge design to use. Should I go with something simple like a king or queen post or something more complicated like a solid ribbed arch or a through truss? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dabomb14 said:
So I am the leader of a small group who has to build a bridge in 30 minutes on the last day of school. The only materials we can use are play-dough, straws, and rubber bands and it has to stretch 30 cm between two tables. Though I was looking for some ideas of a bridge design to use. Should I go with something simple like a king or queen post or something more complicated like a solid ribbed arch or a through truss? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about your own ideas for design options? What are the tradeoffs?

After thinking about the time it would take to do something very detailed, I was thinking about doing a king's post design. The main tradeoff would be time and material. If it is not completed in time or we a end up short a little of materials to finish, then obviously an unfinished bridge is going to fail.

How long are your straws?

Using them in compression is problematic, tension is easier to maintain.

I assume basic straw length. We get 50 straws and 300 rubber bands.

1. What materials are commonly used in miniature bridge design?

The most commonly used materials in miniature bridge design are balsa wood, toothpicks, popsicle sticks, and glue. These materials are lightweight, easy to work with, and strong enough to support the weight of the bridge.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a miniature bridge?

When designing a miniature bridge, factors such as the weight of the bridge, the weight of the load it needs to support, the type of load (static or dynamic), and the shape and design of the bridge should be taken into consideration. Additionally, the materials used should be chosen carefully to ensure the bridge is strong enough to support the intended load.

3. How can I make my miniature bridge more structurally sound?

To make a miniature bridge more structurally sound, it is important to distribute the weight evenly across the bridge and ensure that all joints are securely glued. Adding diagonal bracing or trusses can also help to strengthen the bridge and prevent it from collapsing under the weight of the load.

4. What are some common types of miniature bridges?

Some common types of miniature bridges include beam bridges, truss bridges, arch bridges, and suspension bridges. Each type of bridge has its own unique design and structural features, making them suitable for different types of loads and environments.

5. Can I use mathematical principles to improve my miniature bridge design?

Yes, mathematical principles such as geometry, physics, and engineering can be applied to miniature bridge design to improve its strength and stability. By understanding the forces acting on the bridge and using mathematical equations, you can make more informed design choices and create a stronger, more efficient miniature bridge.