Register to reply

Miniature Bridge design?

by dabomb14
Tags: bridge, design, miniature
Share this thread:
dabomb14
May5-14, 10:02 AM
P: 3
So I am the leader of a small group who has to build a bridge in 30 minutes on the last day of school. The only materials we can use are play-dough, straws, and rubber bands and it has to stretch 30 cm between two tables. Though I was looking for some ideas of a bridge design to use. Should I go with something simple like a king or queen post or something more complicated like a solid ribbed arch or a through truss? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
berkeman
May5-14, 12:01 PM
Mentor
P: 40,659
Quote Quote by dabomb14 View Post
So I am the leader of a small group who has to build a bridge in 30 minutes on the last day of school. The only materials we can use are play-dough, straws, and rubber bands and it has to stretch 30 cm between two tables. Though I was looking for some ideas of a bridge design to use. Should I go with something simple like a king or queen post or something more complicated like a solid ribbed arch or a through truss? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about your own ideas for design options? What are the tradeoffs?
dabomb14
May7-14, 10:23 PM
After thinking about the time it would take to do something very detailed, I was thinking about doing a king's post design. The main tradeoff would be time and material. If it is not completed in time or we a end up short a little of materials to finish, then obviously an unfinished bridge is going to fail.

mfb
May8-14, 10:53 AM
Mentor
P: 11,589
Miniature Bridge design?

How long are your straws?

Using them in compression is problematic, tension is easier to maintain.
dabomb14
May12-14, 11:19 PM
I assume basic straw length. We get 50 straws and 300 rubber bands.

Register to reply