What Determines the Straightness of a Line?

• Thread starter mkristof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: General Relativity.In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria for a straight line, with one suggestion being the path of light and another based on inertia. The concept of "bent" space in relation to gravity is also brought up, along with the need for a deeper understanding of non-Euclidean geometry and geodesics through advanced mathematical training.
mkristof
I was wondering what should be used as the criteria for a straight line? One suggestion would be the path that a beam of light would take. Another criteria would be that based on inertia. An object in motion that experiences no forces could be considered to be moving in a straight line. This almost seems too simple, but I had considered that if one were in a capsule in orbit around the earth, and did not have a window, force measuring devices, like an accelerometer, could not distinguish an orbit from motion between stars.
Could a gyroscope help?
Could an "inertial" straight line be what is meant by gravity being "bent" space.
This is my first post. I like to think about fundamental questions and not take anything for granted. I hope this post makes sense.

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
The path a beam of light takes isn't always a straight line. Gravitational lensing can bend a beam of light as can mirrors or prisms.

In flat space, a Euclidean "straight line" is quite reasonable and it is in fact the basis for our understanding that space-time is NOT Euclidean. The "straight lines" in space-time are more properly called "geodesics" and yes, they are the path that light follows due to what in Euclidean geometry would be considered "bent". We CALL space-time "bent" and similar phrases and that is in reference to Euclidean space. This was shown by the "bent light" around the sun that confirmed the theory of relativity about 100 years ago.

"What is a straight line?"

Isn't this a mathematics question and not physics? Physics does not define the shape and geometry.

Zz.

What level of mathematical training and subject area would be needed to understand non-Euclidian geometry and geodesics?

mkristof said:
What level of mathematical training and subject area would be needed to understand non-Euclidian geometry and geodesics?
Calculus (including partial differential equations), Vector and Tensor Analysis, Differential Geometry

1. What is a straight line?

A straight line is a geometric figure that extends indefinitely in both directions and has no curvature or bends.

2. What are the characteristics of a straight line?

A straight line has zero curvature, all points on the line lie on the same plane, and it has a constant slope and direction.

3. How is a straight line different from a curved line?

A straight line has no curvature or bends, while a curved line has at least one point of curvature or bends in its path.

4. What are some real-life examples of straight lines?

Examples of straight lines in real life include the edges of a book, the horizon, the seam on a piece of paper, and the lines on a ruler.

5. How is a straight line used in science?

Straight lines are used in science to represent relationships between variables, to create graphs and charts, and to measure distances and angles in geometric calculations.