Establishing a Mutual Coordinate System for Interstellar Communication

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of establishing a mutual coordinate system between two parties from different parts of the galaxy. Various suggestions, such as using a line connecting the center of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies, using the orientation of the disk, or using distant sources like quasars or pulsars, are proposed. The International Celestial Reference System is also mentioned as a real astronomical coordinate system. The conversation concludes with the idea of using celestial navigation techniques to measure the coordinates.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I apologize for posting this question on a physics forum because it has a science fiction origin. However, I thought that real astronomers may have a real science answer to the question, so here goes.

Imagine two parties from distant parts of the galaxy in communication with each other. They want to exchange their locations in the galaxy. How do they agree on a mutual coordinate system?

In spherical coordinates, the radius from the galactic center is easy. But lattitude and longitude both need a zero degree reference. How to establish that reference?

My thought is that the obvious candidate is a line connecting the center of the Milky Way Galaxy with the center of the Andromeda Galaxy.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My thought is that the obvious candidate is a line connecting the center of the Milky Way Galaxy with the center of the Andromeda Galaxy.
Sure, and you can use the orientation of the disk as a second direction. The third direction can be chosen orthogonal to the two, and then you can set up every coordinate system you like.

Alternatively, use some very distant sources as reference, they will look nearly the same in the whole galaxy.
Or use very bright stars that can be seen by both, describe them via their absolute luminosity,spectral lines and other properties, and then set up a coordinate system based on them. That requires accurate distance measurements, of course.

You may be interested in reading about a real astronomical coordinate system, if you haven't already. The International Celestial Reference System (ICRS) has the solar system barycenter as it's origin and uses very distant radio sources, such as quasars, for it's reference.

Pulsars would be useful for this purpose. Just give their position relative to Earth and frequency. Three such pulsars would triangulate your position and you need not know their exact distances.

Likes 1 person
Thanks to all. Every answer taught me something.

I like Chronos' answer best. It is just a variation on ordinary celestial navigation. The measurements needed to do it could (in principle if not in practicce) be done with an ancient mariner's sextant.

By the way, I realized that my own idea about Andromeda won't work because Andromeda may not be visible from all places in the Milky Way.

1. What is the purpose of galactic coordinate reference?

The purpose of galactic coordinate reference is to provide a coordinate system for astronomers to locate and study objects in the Milky Way galaxy.

2. How is galactic coordinate reference different from celestial coordinate reference?

Galactic coordinate reference is centered on the Milky Way galaxy, while celestial coordinate reference is centered on the Earth. This means that galactic coordinates are relative to the center of our galaxy, while celestial coordinates are relative to the Earth's position in the solar system.

3. What are the three components of galactic coordinate reference?

The three components of galactic coordinate reference are galactic latitude, galactic longitude, and distance from the galactic center. Galactic latitude measures the angle above or below the galactic equator, galactic longitude measures the angle around the galactic center, and distance from the galactic center is measured in kiloparsecs (kpc).

4. How is galactic coordinate reference used in astronomical research?

Galactic coordinate reference is used to map the positions of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects within the Milky Way galaxy. It is also used to study the structure and dynamics of the galaxy, as well as for navigation and targeting of telescopes.

5. How is galactic coordinate reference related to the equatorial coordinate system?

The equatorial coordinate system is based on the Earth's polar axis, while galactic coordinate reference is based on the galactic plane. However, the two systems are connected by a transformation matrix, allowing for the translation of coordinates between the two systems.