Need a Refresher on Basic EE Theory Before Starting University?

In summary, this person is looking for a textbook, online course, or whatever to help them refresh their knowledge of basic electrical theory. They have learned electronics in Navy schools, so they are biased. There are a few problem sets available for those who are looking for them.
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm going to be starting university in september studying electrical engineering and I'm just looking for a textbook, website, online course or whatever to give me a bit of a refresher / head start on basic EE theory. In high school I have covered topics like faradays law, basic Kirchoffs laws problems, RC circuits, some circuits with 555 timers and OP Amps from an electronics class. However I've forgotten some of the stuff and i'd just like something I can go through to give me a refresh on those topics (theres probably some more I've forgotten to meantion) at a university intro class level and maybe buid upon that and learn something new like inductors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks jedishrfu both those books look really good for what I'm looking since I could probably do with a brush up on my practical skills as well.

This tutorial is a brief introduction to the concepts of charge, voltage, and current. This tutorial is not as long and tedious as a college textbook, yet it contains more information than students are likely to find in an elementary schoolbook.
http://www.swansontec.com/set.html

I first learned electronics in U. S. Navy schools, so I am a little biased. So, if anyone is serious about learning electricity and electronics, this free downloadable book is the best choice possible!

Here is the "Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses" (NAVPERS 10622) in its entirety (or will be eventually). It should provide one of the Internet's best resources for people seeking a basic electricity course - complete with examples worked out (links to quizzes at end of chapters).
Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses
NAVPERS 10622
PREFACE
This book is intended as a basic reference for all enlisted men of the Navy whose duties require them to have a knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/Electricity%20-%20Basic%20Navy%20Training%20Courses/electricity%20-%20basic%20navy%20training%20courses.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks bobbywhy for those links.

I got a copy of Practical Electronics for Inventors and I'm working through the theory section at the start of it as I don't have just enough maths background for Div, Grad, Curl and all that, since I haven't covered multivariable calculus before. I was just wondering if anyone knew any decent problem sets for those basic circuit analysis questions since we'd definitely be expected to know them as its covered in high school here.

1. What is the purpose of studying EE theory?

The purpose of studying EE theory is to understand the fundamental principles and concepts of electrical engineering. This includes topics such as circuit analysis, electromagnetism, and signal processing, which are crucial for designing and building various electronic devices.

2. What are some important topics covered in a good intro to EE theory course?

A good intro to EE theory course should cover topics such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, circuit analysis techniques, basic electronic components, electromagnetic fields, and basic signal processing techniques.

3. Is prior knowledge of math and physics necessary for understanding EE theory?

Prior knowledge of math and physics is helpful but not necessary for understanding EE theory. However, a basic understanding of algebra and some physics concepts will make it easier to grasp the concepts in EE theory.

4. What are some real-world applications of EE theory?

EE theory has a wide range of real-world applications, including designing and building electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. It is also used in the fields of telecommunications, renewable energy, and robotics.

5. How can I apply EE theory in my career?

EE theory is a fundamental part of electrical engineering and can be applied in various industries, such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronics. It is also a valuable skill for those interested in pursuing a career in research and development.