Is Polydactyly a Harmless Genetic Mutation or a Problem?

• Thread starter KMCB1234
  • Start date
This is where it is not considered a harmless mutation and more research is needed.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of polydactyly, a condition where a person is born with extra digits. It is typically inherited from one of the parents and does not indicate a genetic disease. However, there are cases where it is associated with other disorders or abnormalities, which would require further research. Overall, having twelve fingers does not necessarily affect a person's ability to lead a normal life.
KMCB1234
Just to ask professional researchers a question,
Normally, human beings are born to have ten fingers, but I noticed long ago some friends of mine in my hometown have twelve whereas their parents are normally with ten only. This I assume is a genetic problem which the bad gene (6 fingers on one hand) from a parent gets combined with another from the other parent. So how can we conclude such a case is not a harmless mutation ? Even though with twelve fingers, still they can lead normal lives anyway. I think it is a harmless mutation if that poeple can call mutation instead of genetic inheritance.

Thamnk you

Biology news on Phys.org
The condition of having extra digits is called polydactyly. I am not sure what you mean with your last comment, you mean a spontaneous mutation vs an inherited mutation? Or a single mutation vs genetic disease?

Familial polydactyly occurs as a dominantly inherited trait, meaning that one of the parents will also have extra digits, in most cases this does not indicate a genetic disease: you only have an extra finger.

There are cases were polydactyly is associated with other genetic disorders or syndroms, where other symptoms or abnormalities are present.

for your question. The condition of having 12 fingers, also known as polydactyly, is indeed a genetic problem. It is caused by a mutation in the genes responsible for the development of fingers and toes. This mutation can occur spontaneously or be inherited from one or both parents.

In some cases, polydactyly can be a harmless mutation and the extra fingers may function normally. However, in other cases, the extra fingers may be non-functional or cause other health issues. Therefore, it is important to determine the underlying cause of polydactyly in each individual case.

It is also worth noting that while polydactyly may not significantly impact a person's daily life, it can still have social and psychological implications. People with this condition may face discrimination and challenges in certain activities or occupations.

To conclude, while polydactyly may not always be harmful, it is still considered a genetic problem and should be properly evaluated and addressed by medical professionals. It is important to understand the genetic basis of this condition and provide appropriate support and treatment to those affected.

FAQ: Is Polydactyly a Harmless Genetic Mutation or a Problem?

1. What is polydactyly?

Polydactyly is a genetic condition where a person is born with more than the normal number of fingers or toes.

2. How common is polydactyly?

Polydactyly occurs in about 1 in every 500 births worldwide. It is more common in certain populations, such as African Americans and Native Americans.

3. Is polydactyly inherited?

Yes, polydactyly is usually inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern, meaning a person only needs to inherit one copy of the gene from one parent to have the condition.

4. Can polydactyly be treated?

In most cases, polydactyly does not cause any functional problems and does not require treatment. However, in cases where the extra finger or toe is causing issues, it can be surgically removed.

5. Are there any other health concerns associated with polydactyly?

In some cases, polydactyly may be associated with other genetic conditions, such as Down syndrome or Ellis-van Creveld syndrome. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the underlying cause of polydactyly.