SU(2) operators to SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX

by Maybe_Memorie
Tags: generators, heisenberg, operators
Share this thread:
Maybe_Memorie
Aug1-14, 06:23 PM
P: 284
A paper I'm reading says

"Our starting point is the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] generalization of the quantum Heisenberg model:
[tex]H=-J\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}H_{ij}=\frac{J}{N}\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sum_{\alpha , \beta =1}^N J_{\beta}^{\alpha}(i)J_{\alpha}^{\beta}(j)
[/tex]
The [itex]J_{\beta}^{\alpha}[/itex] are the generators of the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] algebra and satisfy the usual commutation relations.

** The [itex]SU(N)[/itex] Heisenberg model can alternatively be written as an [itex]SU(2)[/itex] system with spin [itex]S=(N-1)/2[/itex] moments interacting via higher-order exchange processes.

An exact mapping connects the conventional [itex]SU(2)[/itex] spin operators to the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] generators as follows:
[tex]STUFF
[/tex]

The Hamiltonian can then be expressed in terms of
[tex]STUFF
[/tex]"

This is the paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/0812.3657.pdf. The stuff in question is on page 2.

Sorry I didn't LaTeX the full thing but I'm using a foreign keyboard and it would've taken ages.

My questions... How is ** arrived at? Presently my Lie algebra knowledge is very lacking but i'm working on it. This paper is about a square lattice. Can the result still be generalised for a 1-dim spin chain such as the Heisenberg XXX model with [itex]SU(N)[/itex]?

So essentially my real question is can I express SU(N) symmetry in terms of SU(2) symmetry with higher spin for the 1-dim spin chain, and if so how is the result arrived at?

Many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Greg Bernhardt
Aug11-14, 08:16 AM
Admin
P: 9,709
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Register to reply