will we ever get to the center of the earth?

by mrfeathers
Tags: earth
mrfeathers
Jun13-05, 12:12 AM
P: 6
ok so heres my theory. i know that the center of the earth is the most dense spot on the planet, ant that is why it is "molten lava" because the particles are moving so fast. So even if we had machines that could withstand the heat, wouldnt we not have a machine powerful enough that is capable of drilling through the rock because it is so incredibly dense?
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Gamecubesupreme
Jun13-05, 12:27 AM
P: 12
*watches The Core*
tony873004
Jun13-05, 01:52 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,542
I doubt the density of the rock would have much to do with it. Rock of itentical make-up at the core should be similar in density to rock on the surface. For example, 33 feet below the surface of the ocean, pressures are 2x surface pressures. But if you skin dive down to the bottom, pick up a rock, bring it to the surface and measure it, it's density would be virtually indistinguishible from a surface rock. Rock is not compressable like air.

Also, as you get deeper, gravity gets less. This may cause less pressure.

Design your machine for heat.

Janus
Jun13-05, 07:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,352

will we ever get to the center of the earth?

Quote Quote by tony873004
I doubt the density of the rock would have much to do with it. Rock of itentical make-up at the core should be similar in density to rock on the surface. For example, 33 feet below the surface of the ocean, pressures are 2x surface pressures. But if you skin dive down to the bottom, pick up a rock, bring it to the surface and measure it, it's density would be virtually indistinguishible from a surface rock. Rock is not compressable like air.

Design your machine for heat.
While rock is not as compressable as air, it is compressable. Estimates place the density of the center of the Earth at 13 g/cm^2, over six times that of the crust.

The biggest problem would be pressure, at 3.5 million atmos. It doesn't matter that the local gravity decreases with depth, you still have all the weight of the rock above you pressing down on you.
Astronuc
Jun13-05, 07:37 AM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by tony873004
The pressure increases as one travels toward the center of a planet, because gravity is pulling down the mass of material from above.

Pressure is approximately 350 GPa at the center of the earth = 3 454 231. atm or 50 742 660 psi.

1 atm = 760 mm Hg = 760 torr = 14.69 psi = 1.013251 x 105 Pa at about 25C.

Furthermore, estimates on the temperature at the center of the earth are in the range of 5300 - 7300 K. Graphite sublimates at about 3705C (3978 K), but in the center of the earth, the graphite might dissolve into the surrounding metal. HfC has a melting temperature of 3888C (4161 K), which is still below the above range.

See - Temperature at the Center of the Earth
Janus
Jun13-05, 09:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,352
Quote Quote by mrfeathers
ok so heres my theory. i know that the center of the earth is the most dense spot on the planet, ant that is why it is "molten lava" because the particles are moving so fast. So even if we had machines that could withstand the heat, wouldnt we not have a machine powerful enough that is capable of drilling through the rock because it is so incredibly dense?
Even though the core is hot enough for it to be molten, it is under such high pressure that it is actually solid.
Mr. dude
Jul16-05, 10:26 AM
P: 31
I don't think we will ever reach the center of the earth. Even if we made a machine that could withstand the pressure, I think it would probably melt. And if it didn't, the people inside would unless there was some kind of cooling system. Even then the probability of reaching it wouldn't be very high.

Register to reply