Register to reply

GTA: San Andreas and psychological consequences

by Pengwuino
Tags: andreas, consequences, psychological
Share this thread:
juvenal
Jul2-05, 10:01 AM
P: 383
IvanSeeking, I'm not sure that the website you're citing is all that trustworthy, frankly, given that they're one of those "family-oriented" organizations.

Here's something a little more balanced:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3141144
brewnog
Jul2-05, 12:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by neurocomp2003
brewnog:
"most deluded juvenile delinquent"-are they juveniles when they firs start out?
Well, yes, we're talking about children here.

Quote Quote by neurocomp2003
IMO parents are to blame first but should take the majority of blame while game makers do have some fault in the matter

The game makers do take responsibility by making clear the content of the game, and classification bodies make sure that the content of the game is clearly labelled on the certificate (on the box), and age restrictions on the sale of the games are imposed. If parents choose to breech these restrictions, then that's no fault of the game.
hexhunter
Jul2-05, 01:06 PM
P: 103
that's what angers me about parents who blame the makers... to me, GTA is suprisingly devoid from reality, it's games like the getaway which push the boundaries, to me, swearing is worse than violence, violence tends to be either completely devoid from reality, like shooting limbs off in GTA, or realistic in a game which is devoted to full reality, like SOCOM, where the violence is just like the violence you would see if you were on a miltary squad...
Ivan Seeking
Jul2-05, 03:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Quote Quote by juvenal
IvanSeeking, I'm not sure that the website you're citing is all that trustworthy,
Maybe not. It looked fairly balanced in that a list of positives is also given.
Monique
Jul2-05, 05:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
My bf is addicted, I can't get him out behind of that game is it really that addictive?
brewnog
Jul2-05, 06:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by Monique
My bf is addicted, I can't get him out behind of that game is it really that addictive?
Scarily so.

I had to ask my housemate (who owns it) to remove the playstation from the living room while I had exams on. You just sit down and start playing it, and 3 or 4 hours disappear instantly. It's utterly absorbing, and I've never even been interested in computer games, definitely don't have an addictive personality, and usually have an incredibly short attenti

The maps are so immense that you don't even have to break the law to find things to do. You can spend days (literally, real life days) just exploring the different places. You can spend hours just 'pimping' and racing cars, going out on dates, gambling, going to the gym etc without even involving yourself in any of the game plot. And when you do need a crime fix, the missions are so varied (and often ludicrous!) that it's impossible not to be entertained.

I've never even owned a computer game, but I just couldn't fail to be amazed by the depth of GTA. While it isn't really realistic, it is like another world.
Ivan Seeking
Jul2-05, 09:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Is it more addictive than PF?
Pengwuino
Jul2-05, 11:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Quote Quote by Monique
Yah... its that addictive. Best bet is to break up with him. Heres my number...
Pengwuino
Jul2-05, 11:19 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
Is it more addictive than PF?
I find myself constantly coming back to PF after a while of leaving to check the new posts :D but i do leave...

In GTA, its just... play play play play, nonstop, cant stop, WONT STOP!
Smurf
Jul3-05, 12:03 AM
P: 2,891
Quote Quote by Monique
Did you try taking off your clothes and blocking the TV?

Be creative and you'll get him away from it.
Pengwuino
Jul3-05, 12:31 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Smurf

wouldnt work for me.. its THAT powerful....
Smurf
Jul3-05, 01:40 AM
P: 2,891
I don't believe you. You're telling me there's absolutely no way a girl could get you away from that video game without getting violent? Don't believe you for a second, you just have no imagination. That just makes it easier for her to do it to you because you'll be surprised.
Monique
Jul3-05, 03:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
I find myself constantly coming back to PF after a while of leaving to check the new posts :D but i do leave...

In GTA, its just... play play play play, nonstop, cant stop, WONT STOP!
That sounds familiar, the game plan now is that my bf will play play play play, nonstop, and when he finally finishes the game: never touch the x-box again. Ofcourse I don't agree and think it would be nice if he could do some other stuff in between (he literally sits down at 7 pm and plays until 2 am.. everyday, unless he has to cook).

Quote Quote by Smurf

That does work, for a while, until withdrawal kicks in: "must.. play.. gta.."
Gaijin
Jul10-05, 10:29 PM
P: 16
i think it is not a problem of video games creating a violent society but rather the converse. We are constantly bobarded with images of war and violence in the news and on TV, video games are only a side effect of that.

why is it that movies such as Saving Private Ryan can be shown on Cable TV were people ahve there heads blown off and entrails hanging out when one nipple could condem a show. What is the sense of that?! Is a constant portrayal of violent deaths better than a nipple, a piece of the human body?

not saying that movies are moraly wrong, this stuff hapens in real life, but that it is unfair to put the blame on vidio games andunfair that some things are deep ok when others are forbiden by censors.

Register to reply