Bond Angle, Can Someone Tell Me if I'm Correct?

by amcavoy
Tags: angle, bond, correct
amcavoy
Oct2-05, 05:14 PM
P: 669
I am to find the angle OSeO in the molecule SeO2. After drawing the Lewis Structure and such, I am saying 180o. Is this correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
wr1015
Oct2-05, 06:04 PM
P: 55
Quote Quote by apmcavoy
I am to find the angle OSeO in the molecule SeO2. After drawing the Lewis Structure and such, I am saying 180o. Is this correct?
well sp3 hybridized = 109.5 degrees, sp2 hybridized (double bonds) = 120 degrees, and sp hybridized (triple bonds)= 180 degrees.
amcavoy
Oct2-05, 06:11 PM
Quote Quote by wr1015
well sp3 hybridized = 109.5 degrees, sp2 hybridized (double bonds) = 120 degrees, and sp hybridized (triple bonds)= 180 degrees.
I have one double bond and one single bond. That is my problem. If they aren't the same, how can I determine this?

wr1015
Oct2-05, 06:20 PM

Bond Angle, Can Someone Tell Me if I'm Correct?

Quote Quote by apmcavoy
I have one double bond and one single bond. That is my problem. If they aren't the same, how can I determine this?
in the molecule selenium dioxide, there should be 2 double bonds which form a linear molecule (180 degrees). you can go to chemfinder.com search selenium dioxide and it will show you an image of the molecule.
amcavoy
Oct2-05, 07:27 PM
Quote Quote by wr1015
in the molecule selenium dioxide, there should be 2 double bonds which form a linear molecule (180 degrees). you can go to chemfinder.com search selenium dioxide and it will show you an image of the molecule.
I went there and they said the same thing you did. However, when you write it with two double bonds there is no way for it to obey the octet rule when you write the Lewis Structure. I can get it with a double and a single, but not two doubles. Why is this?

Edit: Alright, let's forget the octet rule (I guess that's not important). When I write it with two double bonds I'm going to say a 120o angle, right?

Thanks.
wr1015
Oct2-05, 07:45 PM
Quote Quote by apmcavoy
I went there and they said the same thing you did. However, when you write it with two double bonds there is no way for it to obey the octet rule when you write the Lewis Structure. I can get it with a double and a single, but not two doubles. Why is this?

Edit: Alright, let's forget the octet rule (I guess that's not important). When I write it with two double bonds I'm going to say a 120o angle, right?

Thanks.
well by following the rules of bond hybridization i would say yes 120o
amcavoy
Oct2-05, 08:13 PM
Thanks I appreciate it
leright
Oct2-05, 09:51 PM
P: 1,194
count the number of double bonds, single bonds and lone pairs. In this case, there are a total of 3 of all of these combined. This, the electronic structure will be in a trigonal planar form, so they are 120 degrees apart. Your molecule will have 2 bonds, making it a bent molecule with 120 degree bond angles.

Register to reply