Register to reply

I dont understand this, can you help?

by hebden
Tags: None
Share this thread:
hebden
Oct5-05, 09:48 PM
P: 2
i have a test on friday and i know these kinds of questions will be on it, but i just cant figure it out. here's a real easy version of those questions and i was hoping you guys could clear up for me the basic way to do this:

a man finds that a 6N force will pull a toy wagon along a level table at a constant velocity. He also finds that a 42N force will accelerate the same wagon at 3.0m/s2 along the same table. what is the mass of the wagon?

thanks for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Gale
Oct5-05, 09:59 PM
P: 676
ok, do you have the correct answer for this? i'm assuming there's friction or air resistance or something since when you apply the first force there's no acceleration. So you do SumF= ma and i assume there's some counter force (F) that accounts for the zero acceleration. So, 6N + F= m(0), the mystery counter force, (friction or whatever,) is -6. So, i do SumF= ma again with the second force and our new found counter force, and plug in the given acceleration and solve for mass.
iruka
Aug26-09, 09:58 PM
P: 4
I am not a teacher and I am not experienced at explaining or solving mathematics problems.
I reply to hebdens post in order to test my understanding.

Basically your problem is to solve is F= m*a

The force was given, and
The acceleration was given.

Rearranging the formula may help.

Forget the first force value of 6N it is irrelevent at first.

I believe friction can be ignore in this question.

below is starting point. good luck to those who are trying to solve this 4 years later.

F=42N
a=3.0m/s^2
m=?

Register to reply