Finding a Good Biography of a Physicist

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of reading biographies as a way to gain insight into the path of individuals who have completed a PhD. The speaker has been searching for biographies of physicists but has not found much success. They wonder if any physicists have written biographies and if there is one that stands out. The conversation then shifts to discussing the possibility of finding autobiographies instead and suggests asking instructors for their experiences. A biography of John Bardeen is recommended as a good read.
erok81
I read in a post a while ago someone recommended reading biographies was a good way to see the path of people that have already completed a PhD. Giving you ideas and expectations of what you might see.

Of course I have a ways to go before I am in a doctorate program, but would still like to take a look at one nonetheless.

I've tried searching Amazon and this forum as well, but didn't come up with anything. Also, Barnes and Noble didn't have much either.

Have any physicists written a biography, or is my search futile? If there are any, is there one that stands out above the rest?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this...

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/nav.asp?visgrp=nonfiction&N=677332&Ne=170159+677332&userid=zA7kBp4CqI

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the extent of what I found. Unless I am looking at incorrectly, I can't really find anything that I am looking for. I though someone with a PhD in Physics has to have written about their life. Biographies seem so popular now a days. Maybe there aren't any geared towards what I am looking for.

erok81 said:
I read in a post a while ago someone recommended reading biographies was a good way to see the path of people that have already completed a PhD. Giving you ideas and expectations of what you might see.
Have any physicists written a biography, or is my search futile? If there are any, is there one that stands out above the rest?
Thanks for the help.

i think you mean AUTObiography... & i can't think of any that would focus on someone's trip through grad school specifically. richard feynman might have written a book that mentions stuff he did. why don't you just go door-to-door in your department & ask all the instructors about their experiences? some profs won't be interested in talking to you & if they don't just go to the next office. i think most of them would help you out if they think they could though, & if they have a few minutes to spare. i (mistakenly) didn't do stuff like that & now that I've graduated it's too late for me (as an undergrad anyway).

'Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!'

'tis very good.

John Bardeen:

Genius by James Glieck was a very good read, it talks about the life of Feynman.

1. What are the key characteristics of a good biography of a physicist?

A good biography of a physicist should include accurate and detailed information about the scientist's life and work, as well as their contributions to the field of physics. It should also provide insights into their personality, motivations, and the impact they had on the scientific community.

2. How can I determine the credibility of a biography of a physicist?

One way to determine the credibility of a biography of a physicist is to research the author and their credentials. Look for biographies written by reputable scientists, historians, or journalists who have a background in the field of physics. It's also important to check for sources and references to ensure the information presented is accurate.

3. Are there any notable biographies of physicists that are widely recommended?

Yes, there are several notable biographies of physicists that are highly recommended by experts in the field. Some examples include "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, "The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom" by Graham Farmelo, and "The First Scientist: Anaximander and His Legacy" by Carlo Rovelli.

4. Can I find biographies of physicists online?

Yes, there are many biographies of physicists available online. Some reputable sources include websites of scientific organizations, universities, or reputable publishers. It's important to check the credibility of the source and the author before relying on the information presented in the biography.

5. Are there any specific biographies of physicists that focus on their personal life rather than their scientific achievements?

Yes, there are biographies of physicists that focus more on their personal life and struggles rather than their scientific achievements. For example, "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" by James Gleick delves into the personal life of the physicist and explores his unconventional approach to science. "The Struggle for Sea Power: A Naval History of the American Revolution" by Sam Willis focuses on the personal life and experiences of physicist and inventor Benjamin Franklin.