Register to reply

Any Good Biographies?

by erok81
Tags: biographies
Share this thread:
erok81
Oct26-05, 08:46 PM
P: 463
I read in a post a while ago someone recommended reading biographies was a good way to see the path of people that have already completed a PhD. Giving you ideas and expectations of what you might see.

Of course I have a ways to go before I am in a doctorate program, but would still like to take a look at one nonetheless.

I've tried searching Amazon and this forum as well, but didn't come up with anything. Also, Barnes and Noble didn't have much either.

Have any physicists written a biography, or is my search futile? If there are any, is there one that stands out above the rest?

Thanks for the help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Dr Transport
Oct26-05, 09:36 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,469
Try this....

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/bro...rid=zA7kBp4CqI
erok81
Oct27-05, 02:02 AM
P: 463
That is the extent of what I found. Unless I am looking at incorrectly, I can't really find anything that I am looking for. I though someone with a PhD in Physics has to have written about their life. Biographies seem so popular now a days. Maybe there aren't any geared towards what I am looking for.

fourier jr
Oct27-05, 05:15 PM
P: 948
Any Good Biographies?

Quote Quote by erok81
I read in a post a while ago someone recommended reading biographies was a good way to see the path of people that have already completed a PhD. Giving you ideas and expectations of what you might see.
Have any physicists written a biography, or is my search futile? If there are any, is there one that stands out above the rest?
Thanks for the help.
i think you mean AUTObiography... & i can't think of any that would focus on someone's trip through grad school specifically. richard feynman might have written a book that mentions stuff he did. why don't you just go door-to-door in your department & ask all the instructors about their experiences? some profs won't be interested in talking to you & if they don't just go to the next office. i think most of them would help you out if they think they could though, & if they have a few minutes to spare. i (mistakenly) didn't do stuff like that & now that i've graduated it's too late for me (as an undergrad anyway).
QueenFisher
Oct28-05, 06:01 AM
P: n/a
'Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!'

'tis very good.
cscott
Nov3-05, 04:12 PM
P: 786
John Bardeen: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
SeReNiTy
Nov5-05, 01:33 AM
P: 171
Genius by James Glieck was a very good read, it talks about the life of Feynman.

Register to reply