Newtonian Probability Distributions

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability distribution for a Newtonian particle confined in a box and how it relates to the wavefunction and quantum mechanics. The individual asking the question is seeking help and clarification on their understanding of this topic.
'AQF
How would the probability distribution (|psi|^2) look for a Newtonian particle if it were confined in a box?

Physics news on Phys.org
AQF : We can't say a thing unless you first attempt the problem yourself and show what you've tried. If you didn't actually read the guidelines before agreeing to them, please read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Here it is : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94380

Here is what I got so far:
(I am unable to upload an image for some reason.) I have the probability on the y-axis and x on the x-axis. My probability function is a straight line,
How do you reconcile this with Newtonian Mechanics for high n?

Last edited:
AQF, Did you find out the wavefunction for a particle confined in a box? Can you post the wavefunction you got?

This is just qualitative.

[QUOTE='AQF]Here is what I got so far:
(I am unable to upload an image for some reason.) I have the probability on the y-axis and x on the x-axis. My probability function is a straight line,[/quote]That's called a uniform probability density.
How do you reconcile this with Newtonian Mechanics for high n?
What is "n" in Newtonian Mechanics ??

I mean “n”, the number of wave crests in the probability distribution, as defined in quantum mechanics. Apparently, when n is very high, this approximates the Newtonian situation. I cannot figure out why.

Thanks for your help so far.

From your comment, I assume that my idea for the Newtonian Distribution is correct, right?

There is something VERY weird about this. I've read 3 of the threads that you have started. You seem to be using the "terminology" as used in QM. Yet, I have a very strong suspicion that you do not understand what they are beyond a superficial, literal meaning of the word.

May I know what level of QM you are working on right now?

Zz.

FAQ: Newtonian Probability Distributions

What is a Newtonian Probability Distribution?

A Newtonian Probability Distribution is a mathematical representation of the probability of a random variable occurring within a given range of values. It follows the principles of Newtonian physics, where all possible outcomes have an equal chance of occurring.

What are the key characteristics of a Newtonian Probability Distribution?

The key characteristics of a Newtonian Probability Distribution include a symmetrical bell-shaped curve, with the mean, median, and mode all located at the center of the distribution. It also follows the 68-95-99.7 rule, where approximately 68%, 95%, and 99.7% of the data falls within one, two, and three standard deviations from the mean, respectively.

What is the difference between a discrete and continuous Newtonian Probability Distribution?

A discrete Newtonian Probability Distribution is used for variables that can only take on specific, finite values, while a continuous Newtonian Probability Distribution is used for variables that can take on any value within a given range. Discrete distributions are represented by histograms, while continuous distributions are represented by smooth curves.

How is the shape of a Newtonian Probability Distribution affected by changes in the mean and standard deviation?

The shape of a Newtonian Probability Distribution is affected by changes in the mean and standard deviation. An increase in the mean will shift the distribution to the right, while an increase in the standard deviation will result in a wider and flatter curve. Likewise, a decrease in the mean will shift the distribution to the left, while a decrease in the standard deviation will result in a narrower and taller curve.

What is the central limit theorem and how does it relate to Newtonian Probability Distributions?

The central limit theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will follow a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual variables. This means that many real-world phenomena can be modeled using a Newtonian Probability Distribution, making it a widely used tool in various fields of science and statistics.

Back