Dimensionless value to differentiate between concentrated and dispersed

independentphysics
Homework Statement
Find a dimensionless value to differentiate between concentrated and dispersed mass systems
Relevant Equations
Newtonian mechanics
I want to find a dimensionless value that differentiates between concentrated mass systems such as the solar system and dispersed mass systems such as a galaxy. I assume spherical and radial symmetry, consider both the cases for point masses or smooth mass distributions.

The only value I can think of is the sum of multiplying each mass by its distance, but then I have to normalize this by some mass*distance to make it dimensionless.

Is there any other alternative?

Physics news on Phys.org
For what purpose? It is hard to define such a thing without knowing what it will be used for.
For example: in the absense of elaboration, I offer the following:
1 for localized objects such as stars, and 0 for diffuse objects such as gas clouds.
Fractional values can serve for in-between states, such as rock piles.

DaveC426913 said:
For what purpose? It is hard to define such a thing without knowing what it will be used for.
For example: in the absense of elaboration, I offer the following:
1 for localized objects such as stars, and 0 for diffuse objects such as gas clouds.
Fractional values can serve for in-between states, such as rock piles.
Hi Dave,

I need a dimensionless value based of physical parameters to differentiate between concentrated mass systems such as the solar system and dispersed mass systems such as a galaxy.

I do not understand your proposal. Although it is a dimensionless value, how can it be derived from physical parameters?

1. What is a dimensionless value used for differentiating between concentrated and dispersed systems?

A dimensionless value is a numerical quantity that does not have units associated with it, making it useful for comparing different systems without being influenced by the units of measurement. In the context of differentiating between concentrated and dispersed systems, a dimensionless value can provide a standardized way to assess the distribution of particles or components within a system.

2. How is a dimensionless value calculated in the context of concentrated and dispersed systems?

In the context of concentrated and dispersed systems, a dimensionless value can be calculated by comparing relevant parameters such as the size of particles or the concentration of components in the system. By normalizing these parameters to remove the influence of units, a dimensionless value can be derived to differentiate between concentrated and dispersed systems.

3. What are some common dimensionless values used to differentiate between concentrated and dispersed systems?

Some common dimensionless values used to differentiate between concentrated and dispersed systems include the Peclet number, Reynolds number, and Schmidt number. These dimensionless values are derived from specific parameters relevant to the system under consideration and provide insight into the distribution and behavior of particles or components within the system.

4. Why is it important to use dimensionless values for differentiating between concentrated and dispersed systems?

Using dimensionless values for differentiating between concentrated and dispersed systems is important because it allows for a standardized and objective assessment of the system's characteristics. By removing the influence of units, dimensionless values provide a clear and consistent way to compare different systems and make informed decisions about their behavior and properties.

5. How can dimensionless values help in the design and optimization of systems with concentrated and dispersed components?

Dimensionless values can help in the design and optimization of systems with concentrated and dispersed components by providing valuable insights into the system's behavior and performance. By using dimensionless values to assess the distribution and interaction of particles or components within the system, engineers and scientists can make informed decisions to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the system.