Understanding Symmetry Groups of a Pentagon

In summary: So, go and revise that then there will be "point" in making this exercise.In summary, the conversation discusses identifying the elements of a full symmetry group of a pentagon and determining the order of each element. The elements are identified as I, R, R^2, R^3, R^4, M, MR, MR^2, MR^3, and MR^4. A Cayley table is made using these elements. The questions also cover finding subgroups and the possibility of generating the whole group with two reflections. It is suggested to revise group theory in order to properly answer the questions.
Natasha1
Right I have been asked to identify the elements of a full symmetry group of a pentagon and give the order of each element?

I have found the elements which I have marked as I, R (Rotation of 72 degrees), R2 (Rotation of 144 degrees), R3 (Rotation of 216 degrees), R4 (Rotation of 288 degrees), M (reflection in axis 1), MR (transformation from rotation R and reflection M), MR2, MR3, MR4.

Now I have made the cayley table of the full symmetry group of the pentagon using these elements.

But what is the order of each element?

What are the subgroups and why?

Can I generate the whole group with two reflections? Any two reflections?

Please help me as I need the answers for tomorrow :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
Right I have been asked to identify the elements of a full symmetry group of a pentagon and give the order of each element?
I have found the elements which I have marked as I, R (Rotation of 72 degrees), R^2 (Rotation of 144 degrees), R^3 (Rotation of 216 degrees), R4 (Rotation of 288 degrees), M (reflection in axis 1), MR (transformation from rotation R and reflection M), MR^2, MR^3, MR^4.
Now I have made the cayley table of the full symmetry group of the pentagon using these elements.

But what is the order of each element?
What are the subgroups and why?
Can I generate the whole group with two reflections? Any two reflections?

Please help me as I need the answers for tomorrow :(

Ok, sorry but what exactly is your background in this ? I mean, do you know how to calculate a Cayley Table ?

I also suggest you first revise your intro group theory, because otherwise there is no point in making this exercise.

marlon

That's really useful thanks! I mean come on. On don't need to be told to go and revise, please.

Anyone else?

My Cayley table looks like this...

I R R2 R3 R4 M MR MR2 MR3 MR4
I I R R2 R3 R4 M MR MR2 MR3 MR4
R R R2 R3 R4 I MR2 MR3 MR4 M MR
R2 R2 R3 R4 I R MR4 M MR MR2 MR3
R3 R3 R4 I R R2 MR MR2 MR3 MR4 M
R4 R4 I R R2 R3 MR3 MR4 M MR MR2
M M MR3 MR MR4 MR2 I R2 R4 R R3
MR MR MR4 MR2 M MR3 R3 I R2 R4 R
MR2 MR2 M MR3 MR MR4 R R3 I R2 R4
MR3 MR3 MR MR4 MR2 M R4 R R3 I R2
MR4 MR4 MR2 M MR3 MR R2 R4 R R3 I

Last edited:
Someone out there please?

Marlon is perfectly correct to tell you to revise: if you don't know what "the order of an element" means then you can't answer the question. If you do know what it means then it is easy to work out either from geometric intuition or from the cayley table.

So, how many times do you apply the basic rotation before you get the identity? Or any other rotation? Or any reflection?

The subgroup question is straightforward again fi you know what Lagrange's theorem states, as is the last question. So, go and revise one fact: If H is a subgroup of G then the order of H INSERT WORD HERE the order of G

What is symmetry?

Symmetry is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to a balanced arrangement of parts or elements. In other words, it is when one side of an object or image is a mirror reflection of the other side.

Why is symmetry important?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in many aspects of science and nature. It helps us understand patterns and relationships, and can also indicate underlying principles and laws. In fields such as chemistry and physics, symmetry is used to predict the behavior of molecules and particles.

How is symmetry measured?

Symmetry can be measured using different methods depending on the context. In geometry, symmetry is measured using transformational methods, such as reflections, rotations, and translations. In physics, symmetry is measured using symmetry operations, such as inversion, rotation, and translation.

What are the different types of symmetry?

There are several types of symmetry, including reflection symmetry (also known as mirror symmetry), rotational symmetry, translational symmetry, and rotational-reflection symmetry. There are also different levels of symmetry, such as bilateral symmetry (when an object can be divided into two equal halves) and radial symmetry (when an object is symmetrical around a central point).

How is symmetry used in everyday life?

Symmetry can be found in many aspects of everyday life, from architecture and design to nature and art. It helps us create balance and harmony in our surroundings and can also be used to create aesthetically pleasing images and structures. In addition, symmetry is often used in technology and engineering to improve functionality and efficiency.