0.2% Offset vs. 0.5% Extension Under Load Yield Strength

In summary, the speaker has designed a part that needs to withstand a shear stress of 43 MPa. They are using Nickel Aluminum Bronze (CuAl10Ni5Fe4) as the material and are unsure how to calculate the shear strength using the given yield strength values of 290 MPa, which is given in 0.5% extension under load yield strength. The speaker has researched and found that both 0.2% and 0.5% are arbitrary points on the stress-strain curve and are used as design criteria. They mention that different materials may have different design implications and the difference between the two points should be a small percentage.
George Zucas
Hello everyone,

I have designed a part that should be able to withstand a shear stress of 43 MPa ( give or take). The part will be made of Nickel Aluminum Bronze (CuAl10Ni5Fe4). When I check yield strength values for this material (I'll multiply it by 0.6 to estimate its shear strength), they are in general given in 0.5% extension under load yield strength. I am not familiar with this, I always used 0.2% elongation yield strength. How should I proceed in this case? It is given as 290 MPa.

I've researched it a bit, it seems that 0.5% extension under load y ield strength is given when the other one is difficult to measure, but didn't find much else.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Both the 0.2% and the 0.5% are arbitrary points on the stress-strain curve. The proportional limit is difficult to measure, and also so is the elastic limit ( tedious repetitions ) so another criteria was chosen so that one could compare one material to another, by just picking it off the graph.

Plastics, by the way use a 2% offset, so you have to know your materials and design implications.

As for the 0.2% offset and 0.5% EUL, design criteria might change from one to the other, which should be slight.
That I am not too sure about, but the difference in most cases should be a small percentage from one to the other.

Thanks. If the differences are slight, then the design is most probably OK. If it was closer to the limit I'd be worried (43 MPa is not all that high). Though it would be nice to know the exact differences.

1. What is the difference between 0.2% offset and 0.5% extension under load yield strength?

The difference between 0.2% offset and 0.5% extension under load yield strength is the amount of strain applied to the material. 0.2% offset yield strength is the point at which the material begins to plastically deform, while 0.5% extension under load yield strength is the point at which the material experiences a higher level of strain before plastic deformation occurs.

2. Why are there two different measures for yield strength?

There are two different measures for yield strength because different materials behave differently under stress. Some materials may begin to deform at a lower strain, while others may require a higher strain before plastic deformation occurs. Therefore, both 0.2% offset and 0.5% extension under load yield strength are used to accurately measure the yield strength of different materials.

3. Which measure of yield strength is more accurate?

Both measures of yield strength are accurate and widely accepted in the scientific community. However, the 0.2% offset yield strength is more commonly used because it is easier to determine and more consistent across different materials.

4. How is 0.2% offset yield strength determined?

0.2% offset yield strength is determined by plotting a stress-strain curve for the material and drawing a line parallel to the initial linear portion of the curve. The point at which this line intersects the curve is the 0.2% offset yield strength.

5. Why is yield strength an important property of materials?

Yield strength is an important property of materials because it indicates the maximum amount of stress that can be applied before the material undergoes permanent deformation. This is crucial in engineering and construction, as it ensures that materials are strong enough to withstand the stresses they will experience in their intended use.