Why my mirror does not reflect converging light?

In summary, the smaller the area and the more violet the light diffused by the surface, the more the light is reflected by a mirror.
RaamGeneral
Hello.

Today I used a magnifying glass and observed how it converged sun light to a smaller area.
The smaller the area and the more violet was the light diffused by the surface. Why does this happen?

Then I used a mirror hoping the small violet point would be reflected, but it didn't happen: the light was again diffused like in any other surface and I saw the light on the mirror. Why?

Science news on Phys.org
RaamGeneral said:
The smaller the area and the more violet was the light diffused by the surface. Why does this happen?

I'm not quite sure what this means, but I think you're talking about the fact that the spot of light is surrounded by a violet "halo". This happens because a magnifying glass has dispersion and the focal point of the violet light is different than the rest of the spectrum. Technically this is true for all colors, but the magnitude of the dispersion is much greater in the violet region, where the change in refractive index with becomes increasingly non-linear as frequency increases. So what you are seeing is a large, out of focus violet spot.

RaamGeneral said:
Then I used a mirror hoping the small violet point would be reflected, but it didn't happen: the light was again diffused like in any other surface and I saw the light on the mirror. Why?

My guess is that most of the light was indeed reflected by the mirror as you'd expect. However, mirrors are not 100% perfectly reflective. A small portion, perhaps around 10-20% will be absorbed or diffusely reflected instead. This is probably what you saw.

Sounds like there may be something on the surface of the mirror. Try a different mirror and a different lens if you can find one.

Are you sure you got the distances right? Assuming you have a hand-held magnifying glass, you will have to get the mirror and screen really close to the glass to get a focus..

If you put a mirror at the focus the light arriving at the mirror comes from lots of different directions so obviously it will be reflected in lots of different directions as well. You won't see a coherent beam reflected if that's what you were expecting. A lens doesn't produce a beam like a laser. It diverges again after the focus.

You can probably see the light on the glass because it's either not clean or not 100% clear/transparent.

If you use a lens with a longish focal length (say from a pair of reading glasses) you can focus the sun at, perhaps 50cm away from the lens (for a +2 diopter lens). Putting a mirror in the way of the converging rays can give you a focussed spot in front of the mirror - total distance from lens to spot will be the same as the focal length of the lens.

It is likely with the flat mirror, you may be sending the light back through your magnifying glass. I would have to believe the light is reflecting just fine off of the flat mirror, but if you are using the sun as a source, you don't want to get a direct view of the beam=Do NOT turn the mirror so that the beam reflects into your eyes. If you want to play around with a magnifying glass and a flat mirror, you are much better off using a much dimmer source than the sun.

You can get a good insight as to what is happening with the rays if you blow smoke into the beam. Not cigarette smoke, of course! :wink:

Thank you everyone.

1. Why is my mirror not reflecting light?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to dust or smudges on the surface of the mirror, which can interfere with the reflection. It could also be due to the angle at which the light is hitting the mirror, as it needs to hit at a specific angle (known as the angle of incidence) for reflection to occur.

2. Why is the reflected light not converging at the focal point?

This could be due to the curvature of the mirror. A mirror with a flatter surface will have a longer focal length, meaning the reflected light will not converge at the focal point. Additionally, if the mirror is not positioned at the correct angle, the reflected light will not converge at the focal point.

3. Can the type of mirror affect the reflection of converging light?

Yes, the type of mirror can greatly affect the reflection of light. A concave mirror, which curves inward, will reflect converging light, while a convex mirror, which curves outward, will reflect diverging light. Additionally, the shape and quality of the mirror's surface can also impact the reflection.

4. Why do I see multiple images when looking into a curved mirror?

This phenomenon is known as distortion and occurs because the mirror is not perfectly flat. The curvature of the mirror causes light to be reflected at different angles, creating multiple images that may appear distorted or warped.

5. How can I improve the reflection of light in my mirror?

To improve the reflection of light, make sure the mirror's surface is clean and free of any debris or smudges. Also, ensure that the mirror is positioned at the correct angle for the light to hit it. Additionally, using a high-quality mirror with a smooth and evenly curved surface can also help to improve the reflection.