10 yrs at the LHC - a live talk organised by The Royal Institution

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary, the Royal Institution is organizing a live talk called "10 Years at the LHC" to reflect on the past decade of discoveries at the Large Hadron Collider. The event will take place on Thursday, September 24 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm BST. Registration is available on their website and a replay will be available for 24 hours after the live stream. The video will also be uploaded to the Ri YouTube channel.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The Royal Institution has organised a live talk entitled "10 Years at the LHC".

Time and Date:

7.00pm to 8.30pm BST, Thursday 24 September.

Where to register:

Please see this page:
https://www.rigb.org/whats-on/events-2020/september/public-10-years-at-the-lhc

Event description:
It’s 10 years since the first particles smashed into each other at the world’s biggest scientific experiment, the Large Hadron Collider. Since then physicists have discovered the Higgs boson, created forms of matter not seen since the Big Bang and ruled out a whole host of speculative theories about the subatomic world.

In this virtual event a panel of physicists from the four giant experiments at the Large Hadron Collider - ALICE, ATLAS, CMS and LHCb - reflect on what they've learned over the past decade and what they hope to discover in the next.

If you miss the live stream, you will receive a link for the replay that will be valid for 24 hours. The video will later be uploaded to the Ri YouTube channel.

Likes DennisN, jedishrfu and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
If you miss the live stream, you will receive a link for the replay that will be valid for 24 hours. The video will later be uploaded to the Ri YouTube channel.
I will look for it. I've seen a couple of lectures on the Ri YouTube channel, I liked them a lot.

Likes hmmm27
DennisN said:
I will look for it. I've seen a couple of lectures on the Ri YouTube channel, I liked them a lot.
I will post the link here once they upload it to YouTube.

Likes DennisN
Had a word with the Royal Institution. They are going to upload the video on 22 October.

Likes DennisN
The video is now available on Youtube:

Likes DennisN

What is the LHC?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in Switzerland.

What is the purpose of the LHC?

The LHC is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and then collide them together. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

How long has the LHC been in operation?

The LHC has been in operation for 10 years, since it first started up in September 2008.

What are some of the major discoveries made at the LHC?

The LHC has made many groundbreaking discoveries, including the Higgs boson particle in 2012 and evidence of a new type of matter called quark-gluon plasma. It has also helped scientists better understand the nature of dark matter and antimatter.

What are the future plans for the LHC?

The LHC is currently undergoing upgrades to increase its energy and luminosity, allowing for even more precise and powerful experiments. It is also planned to continue operating for at least another 20 years, pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.