In summary, A Alaniz is an expert in physics and has a passion for sharing his knowledge with others. He has developed seven interesting and relevant topics to discuss with young people, and provides resources for further reading and suggestions for improvements. He also emphasizes the importance of considering the ethical implications of using physics in various fields.
aalaniz
I've applied physics in nuclear weapons work, finance, biochemistry, molecular dynamics, space physics, and other areas. High school students, and even young Air Force officers with technical degrees often have little idea of the value of physics. And physics loses.

Linked here to a Prezi with YouTube videos and other materials are 7 physics topics I greatly enjoy discussing with young folks. Possible research projects are suggested to high school student and teacher alike.

http://prezi.com/_wgcgvrj-slt/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

Suggested improvements appreciated!

TOPICS

1. Topic on the path from astronomical data on Mercury's orbit in 1697 to general relativity, and to today's $100+ billion dollar gravity business. Who'd have thunk it?

2. Topic on nature and extremization. What's the best path of running on the sand and then swimming in the water for a life guard to save a drowning person? Here nature is following a principle of least time. Finding the fastest curve to get a Hot wheels car from a higher point A to a lower point B is a related topic, as is determining what shape soap films take when stretched between wire frames. Soap films take on minimal surfaces. A minimal surface defines a geometry as much as the plane does in plane geometry. What is the geometry of the universe How can I make money extremizing something?

3. Topic on scientific models and how some are "better" than others. Based on DNA testing, Angelina Jolie had mastectomies done to avoid getting cancer. Given the presented science, what would you have done? How good are global warming models? How much of the universe is modeled by the Standard Model?

4. Topic on random walks. Random walks form the basis of much of today's stock market and derivatives trading (trillions of dollars). Random walks were used to establish the existence of the atom and underlie the physics of light escaping the sun and neutrons inside nuclear explosives.

5. Topic on the (not) boring spring. This is a longer presentation connecting the humble spring to quantum physics, cosmology, and theories of everything (TOEs).

6. Topic on power laws. Power laws are found everywhere, from big stock market moves to the sizes of wars. Power laws may or may not be connected with some underlying network (or topology). In thermodynamics and statistical physics you'll find power laws where phase transitions occur, e.g., from the liquid state to the solid state. You'll find them in dense highway traffic too. Rush hour on the freeway (liquid) can suddenly turn into a solid (ice).

7. Topic on symmetry. With the help of a TED talk, this presentation covers both geometric and algebraic symmetries, and gives a path to how particle physicists have predicted the existence of fundamental particles, e.g., the Higgs boson.

Thanks,

A Alaniz

Last edited:
Likes Danger and Doc Al
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear A Alaniz,

Thank you for sharing your Prezi and YouTube videos with us. It is clear that you have a passion for physics and are eager to share your knowledge with others. I agree with you that many high school students and even young professionals may not fully appreciate the value of physics and how it applies to various fields.

I believe your suggested topics are interesting and relevant, and I appreciate the connections you make between physics and real-world applications. However, I do have a few suggestions for improvements.

First, I would recommend providing some background information or context for each topic before diving into the details. This will help students and teachers who may not have a strong background in physics to better understand the significance and relevance of the topic.

Second, I think it would be beneficial to include interactive elements in your presentations, such as demonstrations or simulations, to engage your audience and help them visualize the concepts you are discussing.

Additionally, I would suggest providing some resources or references for further reading on each topic. This will allow interested students and teachers to explore the topic in more depth and perhaps even conduct their own research projects.

Finally, I would suggest including a section on the ethical considerations of using physics in various fields, such as nuclear weapons and finance. This will encourage critical thinking and discussion among your audience.

Overall, I think your presentations have great potential to spark interest and curiosity in physics among high school students and young professionals. Thank you for your dedication to promoting the value of physics and for continuously seeking ways to improve your presentations.

Related to $100+ billion dollar gravity business

1. What exactly is the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business"?

The "$100+ billion dollar gravity business" refers to the industries and businesses that rely on the study and application of gravity, including aerospace engineering, geology, and space exploration. It also includes the manufacturing of products such as satellites, rockets, and other equipment that utilize gravity for their functioning.

2. How does gravity impact our daily lives?

Gravity plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it keeps us grounded on Earth and helps to maintain the planet's orbit around the sun. It also affects our weight, balance, and movement, and is essential for many natural processes such as the water cycle, ocean tides, and the growth of plants.

3. What advancements have been made in the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business" in recent years?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business," including the development of advanced technology for space exploration, the launch of commercial space flights, and the discovery of new planets and celestial bodies. There have also been advancements in the understanding of gravity and its role in the universe through groundbreaking research and experiments.

4. How does the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business" contribute to scientific research?

The "$100+ billion dollar gravity business" is crucial for scientific research as it provides the necessary resources and technologies for studying gravity and its effects. This has led to significant discoveries and advancements in various fields, including astrophysics, geology, and engineering. It also allows for the testing of new theories and ideas related to gravity and its role in the universe.

5. What are the future prospects for the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business"?

The future prospects for the "$100+ billion dollar gravity business" are promising, with continued growth and advancements expected in the coming years. This includes further exploration of space, advancements in space tourism, and the development of new technologies and methods for studying and utilizing gravity. The gravity business will also play a crucial role in addressing global challenges such as climate change and natural disasters through improved monitoring and understanding of gravity-related phenomena.

Back