100 boxes of Length L, an application of the famous Particle in A Box

In summary: Yes, that is correct. In this case, n=100 and P is the probability of finding the particle in a single box, which can be calculated using the integration mentioned earlier. This will give you the expected number of boxes in which the particle is expected to be found in [0,L/4].
PhysicsTruth
TL;DR Summary
Particle in a box problem in infinite potential well with an ensemble of 100 boxes
Suppose I have 100 identical boxes of length L and the coordinates are x=0 at one end of the box and x=L at the other end, for each of them. Each has a particle of mass m. V=0 in [0,L], while it's equal to infinity in the rest of the regions. If I make a measurement on position of the particle on all the boxes at the *same time*, in how many boxes would the particle be expected to be found between x=0 and x=L/4 ?

My Approach: Probability of finding the mass m in a single box at a specific time is the integration of |psi(x)|^2 dx from x=0 to L/4. But how can we talk about the probability of 100 such identical boxes, measured at the same time? How does the probability of finding the mass m change in more than one box? How do I actually get a *number* of boxes in which the mass m can be expected to be found in [0,L/4]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have the probability, p, for one box then the probability distribution function for 100 boxes is just the binomial distribution with ##B(n=100,p=p)##

Likes PhysicsTruth
PhysicsTruth said:
Each has a particle of mass m

In what state? The ground state for the given potential well?

PhysicsTruth said:
If I make a measurement on position of the particle on all the boxes at the *same time*

Why does "at the same time" matter? If the particles are in stationary states, the probabilities for measurement results don't change with time, so it doesn't matter at what time you make the measurements on each particle.

Likes PhysicsTruth
PeterDonis said:
Why does "at the same time" matter? If the particles are in stationary states, the probabilities for measurement results don't change with time, so it doesn't matter at what time you make the measurements on each particle.
Yeah, in ground state.

Dale said:
Once you have the probability, p, for one box then the probability distribution function for 100 boxes is just the binomial distribution with ##B(n=100,p=p)##
How can you say that it's a binomial distribution, like I don't really get it intuitively why do I use a binomial distribution😅

PeterDonis said:
Yeah, same time doesn't matter, because they are the eigenstates and the wave-function collapses to a single eigen-state on measurement. Nothing more.

PhysicsTruth said:
How can you say that it's a binomial distribution, like I don't really get it intuitively why do I use a binomial distribution😅
A Bernoulli trial is something that either happens (success) or does not happen (failure) with probability p of it happening and probability q = 1-p of it not happening. So in this case, each box is a Bernoulli trial. Either the particle is found in L/4 or it is not, and the probability for it being in L/4 is p. That is a Bernoulli trial.

The binomial distribution describes the number of successes in n Bernoulli trials. So you have 100 boxes, each is a Bernoulli trial, therefore the number of successes in 100 boxes is a binomial.

Likes PhysicsTruth
Dale said:
A Bernoulli trial is something that either happens (success) or does not happen (failure) with probability p of it happening and probability q = 1-p of it not happening. So in this case, each box is a Bernoulli trial. Either the particle is found in L/4 or it is not, and the probability for it being in L/4 is p. That is a Bernoulli trial.

The binomial distribution describes the number of successes in n Bernoulli trials. So you have 100 boxes, each is a Bernoulli trial, therefore the number of successes in 100 boxes is a binomial.
According to my meagre knowledge, I know how to calculate the probability of *n* successes in a binomial distribution, or the *atleast* or *atmost* clauses, but in this case how do we find the actual number of boxes? Can you weigh in a bit more? Thanks.

PhysicsTruth said:
but in this case how do we find the actual number of boxes

It's 100. You told us that.

If you mean something else, please explain what you mean.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's 100. You told us that.

If you mean something else, please explain what you mean.
No I meant the no. Of boxes where the particle would be expected to be found in [0,L/4]

Ok,
PhysicsTruth said:
According to my meagre knowledge, I know how to calculate the probability of *n* successes in a binomial distribution, or the *atleast* or *atmost* clauses, but in this case how do we find the actual number of boxes? Can you weigh in a bit more? Thanks.
Ok, I think I know it😅 Is it nP, where n is the number of trials and P the probability of success in each trial?

PhysicsTruth said:
It is a random number, so there is no way to know in advance the actual number. The expected value (mean) for a binomial variable ##\text{mean}(B(n,p))=np##

You can find all of this information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

1. What is the concept of "Particle in A Box"?

The "Particle in A Box" is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle confined within a finite region. It assumes that the particle has zero potential energy inside the box and infinite potential energy outside the box.

2. How does the length of the box affect the particle's behavior?

The length of the box, represented by L, determines the possible energy levels and corresponding wave functions of the particle. As L increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced and the probability of finding the particle at the edges of the box decreases.

3. What is the significance of having 100 boxes of Length L in this application?

In this application, the 100 boxes represent a discrete set of energy levels that the particle can occupy. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the particle's behavior compared to a single box with a continuous energy spectrum.

4. How does this application relate to real-world systems?

The "Particle in A Box" concept is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of particles in confined systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It can also be applied to other systems, such as quantum dots and nanowires, to study their electronic properties.

5. What are some limitations of using the "Particle in A Box" model?

The "Particle in A Box" model assumes that the particle is confined to a specific region and has no interactions with its surroundings. In reality, particles can interact with their environment and may not be perfectly confined, leading to deviations from the model's predictions. Additionally, the model does not account for relativistic effects or the behavior of multiple particles within the box.