100um Core MM Fiber connected to 50um Core 10G SFP Module

In summary, the fiber has a bandwidth of 1.6GHz and may not work at any distance. It would be difficult to replace the fiber with something more modern, and it may be cost prohibitive to hire a crew to patch up holes in drywall.
daniel1211
I have two systems that are approx. 300-400ft apart that I am connecting via a 10 Gig fiber connection. The fiber I am using is a 100um core MM fiber and the switches will be using a 50um core OM4 (4700 MHz*km) SFP module. Is there a way to find out what type of loss I should be expecting, is there a way to minimize any loss? Unfortunately there is no option to use any different type of fiber.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This doesn't look good to me, two major issues:

1 - 100um graded index fiber has a modal BW in the neighborhood of 200MHz-Km (maybe worse, do you have its specs?). You are trying to reach up to 122m, so your bandwidth will be about 1.6GHz.
10GBE requires 6-7GHz of bandwidth.

2 - You will have difficulty at the receiving end coupling 100um core fiber into 50um ROSA. May not work at any distance.

If you really can't change the fiber, you may have to settle for 1GBE.

On the other hand, how hard can it be to replace 400 feet of cable with something more modern? Perhaps someone is putting their foot down saying it can't be done but you may need to consider the cost of hiring a crew to patch up holes in drywall vs. spending the foreseeable future with limited bandwidth.

the_emi_guy said:
This doesn't look good to me, two major issues:

1 - 100um graded index fiber has a modal BW in the neighborhood of 200MHz-Km (maybe worse, do you have its specs?). You are trying to reach up to 122m, so your bandwidth will be about 1.6GHz.
10GBE requires 6-7GHz of bandwidth.

2 - You will have difficulty at the receiving end coupling 100um core fiber into 50um ROSA. May not work at any distance.

If you really can't change the fiber, you may have to settle for 1GBE.

On the other hand, how hard can it be to replace 400 feet of cable with something more modern? Perhaps someone is putting their foot down saying it can't be done but you may need to consider the cost of hiring a crew to patch up holes in drywall vs. spending the foreseeable future with limited bandwidth.
Thank you the_emi_guy!

It's specialty fiber and the run is through an industrial environment, so that is why we can't replace it. I was trying to re-purpose the fiber so that we could get a 10gig connection. I'm trying to track down the actual specs.

1. What is the difference between a 100um core MM fiber and a 50um core fiber?

A 100um core MM fiber has a larger core diameter compared to a 50um core fiber, which means it can carry more light and has a higher bandwidth. This makes it suitable for high-speed data transmission such as 10Gbps.

2. How does the 10G SFP module connect to the 100um core MM fiber?

The 10G SFP module has a small form-factor pluggable (SFP) interface that is compatible with the 100um core MM fiber. This means it can be easily inserted and connected to the fiber for data transmission.

3. Can a 100um core MM fiber be used with a 10G SFP module for longer distances?

Yes, a 100um core MM fiber can be used for longer distances with a 10G SFP module. However, the maximum distance will depend on the specific type of fiber and the quality of the connection.

4. Is it necessary to use a 10G SFP module with a 100um core MM fiber?

Yes, a 10G SFP module is specifically designed for high-speed data transmission and is compatible with a 100um core MM fiber. Using a different module may result in lower performance or not work at all.

5. What are the advantages of using a 100um core MM fiber connected to a 10G SFP module?

The main advantages of using a 100um core MM fiber connected to a 10G SFP module are high bandwidth, low attenuation, and low cost. This makes it a popular choice for high-speed data transmission in local area networks (LANs) and data centers.