1D Kinematics problem with a plane taking off

In summary, the problem is to determine if an Airbus 380 can use two different runways at an airport, given its maximum acceleration and the necessary takeoff velocity. Using equations of motion, it is found that the first runway, 3805 meters long, is suitable since the plane can reach a velocity of 85.05 ms^-1 before taking off. However, the second runway, only 2400 meters long, presents a contradiction as the plane can only reach a velocity of 67.545 ms^-1, which is lower than the necessary velocity. This raises the question of whether a plane must be able to use every runway at an airport in order to use that airport. As the problem statement does not specify this,
Granger

Homework Statement

An Airbus 380 needs to reach the velocity of 280 kmh^-1 before it takes off. The maximum acceleration the plain reaches in the runway is 0.95 ms^-2. Verify THAT the plane can use an airport with this runways.
Runway 1: 3805 meters (SSW-NNE)
Runway 2: 2400 meters (S-N)

Homework Equations

$$x=x_0+v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2 $$
$$ v= v_0 + at $$

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this was a pretty easy problem.
Using equations of motion:
$$x=1/2 a t^2 $$
$$ v= at $$

For the first runway, solving
$$3805=1/2 \times 0.95 \times t^2$$
$$t=89.5 s$$

$$v= 0.95 \times 89.5 $$
$$v=85.05 ms^-1$$

Which confirms it can use this runway (since the velocity is bigger than the necessary velocity).

However for the second runway, I get

$$2400=1/2 \times 0.95 \times t^2$$
$$t=71.1 s$$

$$v= 0.95 \times 71.1 $$
$$v=67.545 ms^-1$$

Which is inferior to the necessary velocity. But that contradicts the problem statement that it can indeed use the airport.

I might be making an incorrect assumption. I suspect it might be related to the acceleration. In fact they say that's the maximum acceleration not the acceleration. So the might be a time dependence on the acceleration?
But how do I determine it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does a plane have to be able to use every runway at an airport in order for it to use that airport? The problem statement doesn't give any direct guidance on this matter, so I think that you are free to impose your own (reasonable) assumption. Just state up front in your answer what assumption you choose.

1. What is 1D Kinematics and how does it relate to a plane taking off?

1D Kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, which includes objects moving in a straight line. This is relevant to a plane taking off because the motion of the plane can be described using 1D Kinematics, as it moves along a runway in a straight line.

2. What factors affect the 1D Kinematics of a plane taking off?

The 1D Kinematics of a plane taking off can be affected by several factors, including the plane's mass, thrust, and air resistance. The runway length and slope can also impact the plane's motion.

3. How can the equations of 1D Kinematics be applied to a plane taking off?

The equations of 1D Kinematics, such as those for velocity and acceleration, can be applied to a plane taking off by using the plane's initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration to calculate its motion over time.

4. How do you calculate the displacement of a plane during takeoff using 1D Kinematics?

To calculate the displacement of a plane during takeoff using 1D Kinematics, you would use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

5. How can 1D Kinematics be used to analyze the motion of a plane during takeoff?

1D Kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of a plane during takeoff by using the equations of motion to calculate the plane's velocity, acceleration, and displacement. This can help determine the efficiency of the takeoff and identify any potential issues with the plane's performance.