1P Electric Motor - L1 Constant Hot?

In summary, the speaker is rebuilding a land-based boat house with an old style tram and winch motor that needs to be replaced. They have purchased a new motor that can be wired for either 240v or 480v. The speaker is concerned about the L1 circuit being wired as constant hot and is looking for advice on how to wire the drum switch. Another speaker suggests adding a two-pole toggle switch for peace of mind. The original speaker appreciates the suggestion and mentions the possibility of adding an additional circuit on the drum switch. They also note that some electric ranges have a similar wiring setup.
RobertK
Hi all,
I'm in the process of rebuilding a land-based boat house that was leveled in a tornado. This is one of the old styles with the railroad tracks and a tram to hoist the boat in/out of the lake. The tram/winch motor has to be replaced. It is single phase 240V. As best I can tell, the old motor had the L1 circuit wired as constant hot. The forward/reverse operation was done with a 6-connector drum switch and this is how the L2 circuit reaches the motor. We have purchased a new motor and it can be wired 240v or 480v. I've attached an image of the motor schematics and my proposed wiring for the drum switch.

In summary, it bothers me to wire the P1-L1 circuit as constant hot. I'm not an electrician, so please excuse some of my terminology. This operation is in a somewhat remote environment and access to additional components is challenging, but not impossible.

Thanks for your advice,
RobertK

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Motor 3.jpg
    Motor 3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 329
Engineering news on Phys.org
No help yet?

In summary, it bothers me to wire the P1-L1 circuit as constant hot.

I too dislike things that are still "hot" when turned off but it's often done. One more contact on the drum switch would sure be handy.

I'd probably get a two pole toggle switch and mount it just over the drum switch, maybe with a light to remind you it's on.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=1222-PLR&section=41455&minisite=10251

probably a twelve dollar switch and ninety cent box for it would give you peace of mind.
With a double box you could even put in a 220 outlet for the air compressor !

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better some if not all electric ranges have the oven heating element connected in this way.

Thanks for the replies! I do like the idea of having an additional circuit on the drum switch. It would likely be the "correct" way to solve the problem.

Hello RobertK,

I cannot provide specific wiring advice as it is outside of my area of expertise. However, I can offer some general information about electric motors and their wiring.

Electric motors, including the 1P motor you have purchased, require a constant flow of electricity to operate. The L1 and L2 circuits are both necessary to provide the necessary power to the motor. The L1 circuit is typically referred to as the "hot" or "live" circuit, while the L2 circuit is the "neutral" or "return" circuit. It is important to have both circuits properly wired for the motor to function correctly.

In your case, it seems that the previous motor was wired with the L1 circuit as constant hot and the L2 circuit controlled by the drum switch for forward/reverse operation. This may have been done for convenience or to save on wiring costs. However, it is important to note that this may not be the safest or most efficient way to wire the motor.

I would recommend consulting with a licensed electrician to ensure that the new motor is wired correctly and safely. They will be able to assess the situation and provide the best solution for your specific setup. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electricity.

I wish you the best of luck with your boat house rebuilding project. Stay safe and seek professional help when needed.

What is a 1P Electric Motor?

A 1P Electric Motor refers to a single-phase electric motor, which is a type of motor that operates on a single alternating current (AC) power source. This type of motor is commonly used in small household appliances and power tools.

What does "L1 Constant Hot" mean in relation to a 1P Electric Motor?

"L1 Constant Hot" refers to the specific wiring configuration of a 1P Electric Motor, where the L1 wire is always hot or energized. This means that the motor will continuously receive power from the L1 wire, allowing it to run smoothly and consistently.

How does a 1P Electric Motor work?

A 1P Electric Motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. The motor contains coils of wire that are energized by an alternating current, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with permanent magnets or another set of coils, causing the motor to rotate and produce mechanical power.

What are the advantages of using a 1P Electric Motor?

One advantage of using a 1P Electric Motor is its simplicity. It only requires a single power source, making it easy to install and use. Additionally, these motors are more energy-efficient than other types of motors, making them a cost-effective option for many applications.

What are the common uses of a 1P Electric Motor?

1P Electric Motors are commonly used in small household appliances, such as fans, blenders, and washing machines. They are also used in power tools, such as drills and saws, as well as in pumps and compressors. They are also found in various industrial and commercial applications, including conveyor belts and machinery.