1st year Chemistry Course in University

In summary, two first year chemistry students are seeking help with the book "General Chemistry-Principles & Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Harwood, Herring, and Madura. They both struggle with remembering material from high school and are looking for specific questions to be answered.
abealzaim
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend a helping hand to a first year chem student. I have forgotten a lot of material from my high school courses and am currently struggling just with completing the reviews. The book that I'm using is called "General Chemistry-Principles & Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Harwood, Herring, and Madura. If someone could get back to me it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Abe.

Physics news on Phys.org
On this level of generality it is hard to help; simply post specific questions when they show up.

abealzaim said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend a helping hand to a first year chem student. I have forgotten a lot of material from my high school courses and am currently struggling just with completing the reviews. The book that I'm using is called "General Chemistry-Principles & Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Harwood, Herring, and Madura. If someone could get back to me it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Abe.

Sure thing , simply ask a specific question here.

Hi, I am another undergrad 1st year using the same book and i am faceing the same problems, unfortunately i didnt bring my chem 12 notes so i feel like all the assumed knowledge topics are things that i really need to learn agian... :S

Related to 1st year Chemistry Course in University

What is the purpose of taking a 1st year Chemistry course in university?

The purpose of taking a 1st year Chemistry course in university is to provide students with a foundational understanding of the fundamental principles, theories, and concepts of chemistry. This course serves as a prerequisite for more advanced chemistry courses and is essential for students pursuing careers in fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.

What topics are typically covered in a 1st year Chemistry course?

Some common topics covered in a 1st year Chemistry course include atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, states of matter, thermodynamics, acids and bases, and chemical reactions. These topics are important for building a strong understanding of the basic principles of chemistry.

What are the common challenges students face in a 1st year Chemistry course?

Some common challenges students face in a 1st year Chemistry course include understanding complex concepts, solving mathematical problems, and memorizing large amounts of information. It is important for students to actively engage in class, seek help from professors or tutors, and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

What are the benefits of taking a 1st year Chemistry course in university?

Taking a 1st year Chemistry course in university not only provides students with a strong foundation in chemistry, but also helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also open up various career opportunities in fields such as research, healthcare, and industry.

What are some tips for succeeding in a 1st year Chemistry course?

Some tips for succeeding in a 1st year Chemistry course include attending all lectures and actively participating, completing assigned readings and practice problems, seeking help when needed, and reviewing material regularly. It is also important to stay organized and manage time effectively to balance coursework with other commitments.