Should I retake Organic Chemistry 2? Got a C-

In summary, it is recommended that the individual retakes the Organic Chemistry 2 course in order to improve their grade and better prepare for advanced elective courses. Some universities have expressed that a higher GPA and strong GRE scores are important for graduate school admission. It is also suggested to restudy/review the first semester material before retaking the course. There is the option to sit in as a free student for the course, but it is advised to not take it during the summer session. The individual already has credit for the lab portion, so they only need to retake the lecture. Ultimately, the goal is to pursue a graduate degree in Oceanography or Environmental Chemistry, potentially followed by a PhD in Meteorology.
Geo_Zegarra2018
I was wondering if I should retake this course for a better grade. I got numerous responses from the colleges I am interested in for grad school. Probably will be taking Advanced Organic Chemistry as an advanced elective. If they have other courses that are offered like instrumental analysis I would take it.

Florida International University: It's up to me
The University of Alaska- Fairbanks: I think if you feel that you have the background to take advance OChem, then do that and get a better grade. Only re-take O-Chem 2 if you feel you need to learn the material better. In the end, your GRE scores will be more important than a C in one class
Penn State: Yes, it will help. But be aware that we usually require a GPA of ~3 in relevant science courses.
Cornell: Our primary concern has been that we take students who are likely to succeed in the MS program. Without seeing the totality of your record I'd not wish to comment on your suitability--through those Organic grades would lead me to worry quite a bit.For UAF I'm applying for Oceanography and possibly Environmental Chemistry
FIU: Masters in Environmental Chemistry
Penn State: Ph.D. in Chemistry
Cornell: Masters in Chemistry

My goal is to get either a masters in Oceanography or Environmental Chemistry. Then do a PhD in Meteorology

Physics news on Phys.org
Not so important just the grade you earn or did earn; but how well you LEARNED. Repeat or retake your "Organic Chemistry 2". Topic contents between your two schools might be different so better if you redo this course at your current school. In case this OChem 2 is second semester with OChem 1 being the first semester parts, then be sure to restudy/review the semester 1 material before doing the repeat of OChem 2.

symbolipoint said:
Not so important just the grade you earn or did earn; but how well you LEARNED. Repeat or retake your "Organic Chemistry 2". Topic contents between your two schools might be different so better if you redo this course at your current school. In case this OChem 2 is second semester with OChem 1 being the first semester parts, then be sure to restudy/review the semester 1 material before doing the repeat of OChem 2.

Penn State said that I could sit in as a free student for Organic Chemistry 2. That way I can be more prepared and learned from the mistakes I did when taking it with credit. I would probably do that in that way I can be more prepared for Advanced Organic Chemistry or some other elective. In the long run, Do you think I should retake the course? I would only be able to take this course in the summer. As I'm booked in other semesters.

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Penn State said that I could sit in as a free student for Organic Chemistry 2. That way I can be more prepared and learned from the mistakes I did when taking it with credit. I would probably do that in that way I can be more prepared for Advanced Organic Chemistry or some other elective. In the long run, Do you think I should retake the course? I would only be able to take this course in the summer. As I'm booked in other semesters.
Yes; you should retake it. NOT in summer session, especially if you expect to handle the laboraotory section adequately.

symbolipoint said:
Yes; you should retake it. NOT in summer session, especially if you expect to handle the laboraotory section adequately.

Well, I already have credit for Lab since I got A-. So I won’t be needing to retake that. Just lecture which can be manageable in summer I believe

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Well, I already have credit for Lab since I got A-. So I won’t be needing to retake that. Just lecture which can be manageable in summer I believe
Do!

What is a C- in Organic Chemistry 2?

A C- is a grade that typically indicates that a student has not fully mastered the material in the course and may need to review the subject further.

Why should I consider retaking Organic Chemistry 2 if I received a C-?

If you received a C- in Organic Chemistry 2, it may indicate that you did not fully understand the material and may struggle with more advanced chemistry courses in the future. Retaking the course can help solidify your understanding and improve your grade for future applications.

Will retaking Organic Chemistry 2 affect my GPA?

Yes, retaking Organic Chemistry 2 will most likely affect your GPA. However, if you perform significantly better in the retaken course, it can help improve your overall GPA.

Can I still be successful in my career if I received a C- in Organic Chemistry 2?

Receiving a C- in Organic Chemistry 2 does not necessarily mean you cannot be successful in your career. However, if you plan to pursue a career in a field that heavily relies on organic chemistry, it may be beneficial to retake the course to improve your understanding and skills in the subject.

What other factors should I consider before deciding to retake Organic Chemistry 2?

Before deciding to retake Organic Chemistry 2, you should consider your overall academic performance, time and financial constraints, and your career goals. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or the instructor of the course to discuss your options and make an informed decision.