2-D Momentum Problem -- Elastic collision of two spheres

In summary: This problem makes the simplifying assumption that the spheres have a frictionless contact. If you want to take the next step, I'd look online for an experimental analysis of these sorts of collisions.
Jimmy87
Homework Statement
Determining velocity after a 2-D impact.
Relevant Equations
p = mv
Hi,

Here is the problem
1679393005608.png

What is required to answer this question is two assumptions. Firstly, the component of the momentum normal to the centre line is the same before and after. Therefore, secondly, A must recoil entirely in the horizontal plane. This is the only way to answer this question and I can get the answer (0.34 m/s which I know to be correct). How do we know after this collision A is confined to the horizontal plane? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
How do we know after this collision A is confined to the horizontal plane? Thanks
We don't. Snooker balls sometimes jump up off the table after a collision.

You just have to assume that doesn't happen in this case.

• Haha
Likes BvU and MatinSAR
PeroK said:
We don't. Snooker balls sometimes jump up off the table after a collision.

You just have to assume that doesn't happen in this case.
Ah sorry I wasn’t clear. The only way to answer this question is if ball A recoils along the centre line. How do we know it doesn’t have any vertical component after the collision (vertical in terms of the plane of the surface).

Jimmy87 said:
The only way to answer this question is if ball A recoils along the centre line. How do we know it doesn’t have any vertical component after the collision (vertical in terms of the plane of the surface).
The balls are "smooth". What is the direction of the force that B exerts on A?

Likes Jimmy87
Jimmy87 said:
How do we know it doesn’t have any vertical component after the collision (vertical in terms of the plane of the surface).
A better term is lateral or tangential, rather than vertical.

Likes Jimmy87
Jimmy87 said:
Ah sorry I wasn’t clear. The only way to answer this question is if ball A recoils along the centre line. How do we know it doesn’t have any vertical component after the collision (vertical in terms of the plane of the surface).
To acquire a vertical (tangential) component of momentum, a vertical force is needed during the collision. What entity could be the origin of that force? See post #4 by @TSny.

Likes Jimmy87
kuruman said:
To acquire a vertical (tangential) component of momentum, a vertical force is needed during the collision. What entity could be the origin of that force? See post #4 by @TSny.
Yeh I’m still struggling to visualise it. Ball B changes direction by moving through an angle of 90 degrees yet ball doesn’t changes it angle at all.

If the velocity is at an angle of 30 degrees will there not be a component normal to the line imparted on ball A?

Ball A can only exert a force perpendicular to its surface which is the radial direction from the center of A to the point of the collision. This means that the velocity of ball B can change only in that radial direction. Draw a vector diagram of the momentum of ball B before and after the collision showing this.

Jimmy87 said:
Yeh I’m still struggling to visualise it. Ball B changes direction by moving through an angle of 90 degrees yet ball doesn’t changes it angle at all.

If the velocity is at an angle of 30 degrees will there not be a component normal to the line imparted on ball A?
It says "smooth" spheres in the question, which is introductory physics code for "no friction". In reality, there would be some friction between the surfaces and some exchange of lateral momentum. A super slow-motion film of the collision of two snooker balls would be interesting from this perspective. To see how much (if any!) lateral momentum is imparted to the object ball.

Likes nasu
kuruman said:
Ball A can only exert a force perpendicular to its surface which is the radial direction from the center of A to the point of the collision. This means that the velocity of ball B can change only in that radial direction. Draw a vector diagram of the momentum of ball B before and after the collision showing this.
Thanks I think I can visualise it now. So it’s because they collide exactly edge on with no friction. I guess if ball B collided with some of its radius within ball A’s radius it would impart a force perpendicular to the centre line into A? Is that right? Thanks

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks I think I can visualise it now. So it’s because they collide exactly edge on with no friction. I guess if ball B collided with some of its radius within ball A’s radius it would impart a force perpendicular to the centre line into A? Is that right? Thanks
This problem makes the simplifying assumption that the spheres have a frictionless contact. If you want to take the next step, I'd look online for an experimental analysis of these sorts of collisions. Introductory physics is essential in teaching you the basics and getting experience with the mathematics, but it only takes you so far in terms of understanding the real world.

Jimmy87 said:

What is required to answer this question is two assumptions. Firstly, the component of the momentum normal to the centre line is the same before and after. Therefore, secondly, A must recoil entirely in the horizontal plane. This is the only way to answer this question and I can get the answer (0.34 m/s which I know to be correct). How do we know after this collision A is confined to the horizontal plane? Thanks.
What horizontal plane are you referring to?
The plane on which the balls are sliding or rolling on, or the one perpendicular to the shown picture and containing the trajectory of A?

Jimmy87 said:
Homework Statement:: Determining velocity after a 2-D impact.
Relevant Equations:: p = mv

0.34 m/s which I know to be correct
Should be 0.6 tan(30), which is nearer to 0.35, no?

1. What is a 2-D momentum problem?

A 2-D momentum problem involves the study of the motion of objects in two dimensions, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of their velocities. This is often used to analyze collisions between objects in a two-dimensional space.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, both the momentum and the kinetic energy are conserved.

3. How is momentum conserved in a 2-D elastic collision?

In a 2-D elastic collision, the total momentum of the system (the two objects) before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momenta of the objects in the x and y directions before the collision is equal to the sum of their momenta after the collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of a 2-D elastic collision?

The outcome of a 2-D elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The angle at which the objects collide and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how "bouncy" the objects are) also play a role in determining the outcome of the collision.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated in a 2-D elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution (e) is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the objects after the collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This value ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.