2 multivariable limit questions.

In summary, the homework statement ask for lim x,y -> 0,0, and the two students tried different methods to approach (0,0), but neither of them were successful.
AndreTheGiant

Homework Statement

Hello, I need help on the following questions, mainly to make sure i did them right.

for both, lim (x,y) -> (0,0)

1) [PLAIN]http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP3619hd2e84h398acc80000110c0eac25d415ha?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=57&w=72&h=44

2) [PLAIN]http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP43819hd2e19gfb031c4000051d54bgf834ga83b?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=47&w=80&h=40

The Attempt at a Solution

1) so for this one I multiplied by the conjugate of the denominator.
So what i end up with is as follows

x(x-y)(sqrt x + sqrt y) / (x-y)

x-y cancels so I am left with

x(sqrt x + sqrt y)

so I get the limit as 0 when i plug in x and y.

2)
This one I am clueless about what to do. I keep getting an indeterminate form 0/0. I tried L'hopital's rule but it doesn't really help. Any ideas? Do i need to use some trigonometric identity here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1) This is correct.

(2) Try approaching (0, 0) along some line which passes through the origin.

Alternatively, you can see what limit you get if you approach the x-axis along the line x = b, for some constant, b ≠ 0. Then, if that limit exists, approach (0,0) with that expression. Do similar for the y-axis.

More on (1).

Of course you can only approach (0,0) from the first quadrant or the positive x or y axis.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still a bit lost on #2. Using the first method such as taking a curve, say y=x that passes through the origin i still end up with 0/0, i tried L'hopitals rule after using y=x for example and I still don't get anywhere.

as for taking some x=b, so suppose b=1, then I would lim x,y -> 1,0. which also gives me an indeterminate form 0/0?

I don't see the image of the problem any longer.

Sorry bout that. This is the question.

lim
x,y -> 0,0

[cos(xy)-1]/[(x^2)(y^2)]

AndreTheGiant said:
Sorry bout that. This is the question.

lim
x,y -> 0,0

[cos(xy)-1]/[(x^2)(y^2)]
Suppose y=mx.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\cos(xy)-1}{x^2\,y^2}\to \frac{\cos(m\,x^2)-1}{m^2x^4}[/itex]

Now for L'Hôpital

Hmm looks like there is an error somewhere in the latex code, can't see what is written, but I'll try subbing in mx like you said and see what I can do from there with L'hopitals. I might have done something wrong then.

Apply L'Hôpital twice for these.

Using L'hopitals will make me get rid of the x from the denominator eventually but i think it will take more than 2 times. This is what i have so far.

using L'hopitals the first time I got:

-2mx sin(mx^2) /( 4x^3)(m^2)

which is still 0/0 as x -> 0

second time:

[-2m sin(mx^2) - 4m^2x^2 cos(mx^2)]/](12x^2)(m^2)]

which is still 0/0

unless i did something wrong, i can keep using l'hopitals to remove x from the denominator and should not give me 0/0 but it will be a total of 4 times I have to use it.

AndreTheGiant said:
Using L'hopitals will make me get rid of the x from the denominator eventually but i think it will take more than 2 times. This is what i have so far.

using L'hopitals the first time I got:

-2mx sin(mx^2) /( 4x^3)(m^2)

which is still 0/0 as x -> 0
Cancel what you can before proceeding.

SammyS said:
Cancel what you can before proceeding.

...right! stupid mistakes :(

thanks so much for the help!

AndreTheGiant said:
as for taking some x=b, so suppose b=1, then I would lim x,y -> 1,0. which also gives me an indeterminate form 0/0?

I get a similar result for this method.

Now for the bad news.

This all looks great, but it doesn't prove the limit is -1/2 or whatever we got.

If any were different than -1/2, then the limit DNE.

This may be good enough for your course at this time.

Related to 2 multivariable limit questions.

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of a function as one or more variables approach a specific point. It is used to describe the behavior of a function as it gets closer and closer to a certain point.

2. How is a multivariable limit different from a single-variable limit?

A single-variable limit involves finding the value of a function as one variable approaches a specific point. A multivariable limit, on the other hand, involves finding the value of a function as multiple variables approach a specific point. This adds an extra level of complexity to the calculation.

3. What is the importance of multivariable limits in science?

Multivariable limits are important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, and can help scientists understand the relationship between multiple variables in a given system.

4. How do you solve a multivariable limit?

To solve a multivariable limit, you need to approach the point of interest from different directions. This involves finding the limit along various paths or curves that lead to the point. If the limit is the same for all paths, then that value is the multivariable limit. If the limit is different for different paths, the multivariable limit does not exist.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving multivariable limits?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve multivariable limits, such as substitution, factoring, and using trigonometric identities. It is important to choose the most suitable technique for each specific problem. Practicing and understanding the properties of limits can also help in solving multivariable limits more efficiently.