2 theories, same experimental predictions, can one fail but

In summary, the conversation discusses two physical theories, A and B, that make the same experimentally verifiable predictions but are based on different postulates and calculations. The question is whether one theory can fail while the other remains valid. One possibility is that an undiscovered effect could contradict theory A, while theory B remains incomplete. Another scenario is that the postulates of theory A are found to be false, but not those of theory B. The conversation also mentions alternative interpretations of quantum mechanics and the use of mathematical frameworks to make experimental predictions. However, experiments cannot determine which statements should be considered axioms and which should be derived.
Silber5
"2 theories, same experimental predictions, can one fail but not the other ?"
(above was intented to be the title, got truncated)

Let’s say we have 2 physical theories, call them A and B, that make the same experimentally verifieable predictions. But they are based on different postulates. And they calculate their stuff in different ways.(<-sorry for such an inaccurate description in that sentence)

I would have assumed that some theory A could become refuted without theory B becoming necessarily refuted as well. I imagine:
Some yet undiscovered effect is observed which is incompatible with theory A, maybe it leads to a contradiction. But for theory B it’s nothing more than a yet unexplained phenomen - B just can’t provide the explanation for it, because it is incomplete, like most theories.

Alternative scenario: The postulates of theory A turns out to be false, but not the postulates of theory B.

The reason why I’m asking this question is because I was unable to make much sense of some answers I received to a question elsewhere in the forum. (The answers appeared to me to indicate that my above ideas about physical theories are not true.) So where’s the error ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silber5 said:
make the same experimentally verifieable predictions
Then there is no experiment which can possible validate one and falsify the other. They both sink or swim together.

Silber5 said:

Let’s say we have 2 physical theories, call them A and B, that make the same experimentally verifieable predictions. But they are based on different postulates. And they calculate their stuff in different ways.(<-sorry for such an inaccurate description in that sentence)

I would have assumed that some theory A could become refuted without theory B becoming necessarily refuted as well. I imagine:
Some yet undiscovered effect is observed which is incompatible with theory A, maybe it leads to a contradiction. But for theory B it’s nothing more than a yet unexplained phenomen - B just can’t provide the explanation for it, because it is incomplete, like most theories.

Alternative scenario: The postulates of theory A turns out to be false, but not the postulates of theory B.

The reason why I’m asking this question is because I was unable to make much sense of some answers I received to a question elsewhere in the forum. (The answers appeared to me to indicate that my above ideas about physical theories are not true.) So where’s the error ?

I believe this is the history of some of the alternative interpretations of QM (hidden variables, etc.) that were devised to get away from the "problems" that were present in the Copenhagen interpretation of QM. They give the same predicitons for most experiments, but the guts are different. All experiments (that I am aware of) to test the alternatives have shown the "party line" to be correct.

Silber5 said:
What often happens is that there is some mathematical framework which is used to make experimental predictions, for example, in Special Relativity that would be the Lorentz transform. From that framework you can derive all sorts of statements, for example in SR you could derive length contraction, time dilation, relativity of simultaneity, invariance of c, homogeneity, isotropy, principle of relativity, and invariance of the spacetime interval. The question then arises "how do we get the framework"

Typically, the number of things you can derive from the framework is over-complete, meaning that some small subset of the statements, if considered to be axioms, could be used to derive the framework and therefore all of the other statements. Also, typically that subset is not unique, meaning that you could pick a different set of statements as your axioms and reach the same end point.

Experiments can test the statements, but cannot distinguish which statements should be considered axioms and which should be considered derived.

Silber5 said:

But as you've stated, why not test the validity of the postulates of each theory, since that is where they differ? The postulate of SR is being tested all the time (see the latest test of Lorentz invariance using neutrino flavor mixing just published last week).

Zz.

1. Can two theories with the same experimental predictions yield different results?

Yes, it is possible for two theories to make the same predictions but still yield different results. This could be due to differences in the underlying assumptions or mechanisms of the theories, or variations in experimental conditions or procedures.

2. How can one theory fail while the other succeeds if they have the same predictions?

Even though two theories may have the same predictions, one theory can still fail if it does not accurately explain the underlying mechanisms or processes. The other theory may succeed because it provides a more comprehensive or accurate explanation for the observed phenomena.

3. Is it possible for a theory to fail even if it has been successful in previous experiments?

Yes, a theory can fail even if it has been successful in previous experiments. This could be due to changes in experimental conditions or new evidence that challenges the assumptions or mechanisms of the theory.

4. Can a theory be considered valid if it fails in one experiment but succeeds in others?

It depends on the specific circumstances and context. If the theory consistently fails in a variety of experiments, it may not be considered valid. However, if the failure in one experiment can be attributed to specific factors or flaws in the experimental design, the theory may still be considered valid.

5. How can scientists determine which theory is more accurate if they both have the same experimental predictions?

In order to determine which theory is more accurate, scientists may conduct additional experiments or gather more evidence to test the predictions of each theory. They may also evaluate the underlying assumptions and mechanisms of each theory to determine which one provides a more comprehensive and accurate explanation for the observed phenomena.