2 vs 4 vs 6 pole AC motor HP

In summary: RPM. In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the output horsepower of a motor remains the same regardless of the number of poles it has. However, the cost of a motor increases as the number of poles increase. The speaker shares a personal experience with purchasing a motor with a higher RPM but lower horsepower, and later learns from their engineering professor the reason for this difference. They request a calculation to support this explanation.
Froneck
Often I'm reading on other sites that if a 2 pole 3600RPm (synchronous speed) motor were connected so that the ratio would lower the speed to the same as a 4 pole (2X) and so on with 6 pole (3x) the output HP will remain the same. However the larger the number of poles the larger the motor and like wise the cost! If that were so why would anyone want to buy a more expensive 4 or 6 pole motor if the same HP output were available by gearing or belting a 2 pole motor?
I remember when in High School my father bought a lathe for me but the motor had a bad start winding. It was a 1750rpm 1HP single phase motor. Once started the motor ran fine. Getting it started was the problem and done with a rope to pull start it! I went to Sears back when they had all their stuff made in USA and seen that a 3500rpm, 1HPmotor was half the price of a 1750rpm, 1HP motor so I purchased it and belted it down to the same speed. However it did not have the same power as the replaced 1750rpm motor and could be easily stalled with a heavy cut that would not stall the other motor.
Some time later when in Collage I mentioned it to my Electrical Engineering Professor and he showed me why! Been a Loooooong time ago. Can anyone provide me the calculation similar to his.

Frank

Engineering news on Phys.org
You may have been told wrong. A 60 Hz motor needs to run at a speed of 3600/N RPM, where N is the number of pole-pairs. 2 poles=1 pair, 3600 RPM. 4 poles=2 pair, 1800 RPM.

What is the difference between a 2 pole, 4 pole, and 6 pole AC motor?

A pole in an AC motor refers to the number of magnetic poles created by the stator of the motor. A 2 pole motor has 2 poles, a 4 pole motor has 4 poles, and a 6 pole motor has 6 poles. This difference affects the motor's speed and torque.

Which AC motor is more powerful, a 2 pole or a 4 pole?

The power of a motor is determined by its horsepower (HP), not the number of poles. A 2 pole motor can have the same HP as a 4 pole motor, but it will have a higher speed and lower torque. Conversely, a 4 pole motor will have a lower speed and higher torque.

What are the advantages of a 6 pole AC motor?

A 6 pole AC motor typically has a lower speed and higher torque compared to a 2 or 4 pole motor. This makes it suitable for applications that require high starting torque, such as in elevators or conveyor systems.

Which AC motor is more efficient, a 2 pole or a 6 pole?

The efficiency of a motor is dependent on its design and construction, not the number of poles. Both 2 pole and 6 pole motors can be designed to have high efficiency. However, a 6 pole motor may be more efficient in certain applications that require lower speeds and higher torque.

Can a motor with a different number of poles be used as a replacement?

No, the number of poles in a motor is a critical design factor and cannot be changed without affecting the motor's performance. It is important to use the correct motor with the specified number of poles for a given application.