20200108 Finally some lightning

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, this local region has seen a crap storm season due to the dry heat. The thunder started rumbling around midnite last night and a reasonable cell came in from the SW. The storm was active for around 1.5 hours with hidden cloud to ground lightning but many cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground discharges. Below is a screenshot and three zaps captured. Dave took some great pictures of the storm and has a lot of interest in photographing big storms.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Storm local to home ( inner west Sydney, Australia)
It has really been a crap storm season in my local region this spring and summer, just this dry heat for many months.

The thunder started rumbling about midnite last night. looking at the weather radar and lightning map showed a reasonable cell coming
in from the SW towards home. It was reasonably active for around 1.5 hours with some hidden in cloud lightning but many cloud - cloud
and cloud to ground discharges.
Below is a radar/lightning tracker screenshot and 3 zaps that I captured

200107 1142AEST Sydney Radar and Lightning.jpg

IMG_1287 900x.jpg

IMG_1293 900x.jpg

IMG_1298 900x.jpg
Dave

• Love
Likes Klystron, Drakkith, DennisN and 3 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Nice pictures.
Maybe you want to put some in the current photo contest on electricity!

Likes davenn
BillTre said:
Nice pictures.
Maybe you want to put some in the current photo contest on electricity!

yeah, good thought, hadn't thought about that :smile:

So, what's the deal with your wanting more lightning?
You love to take pictures of it?
You just have an electric personality?
You have a neighbor that you are hoping gets struck by lightning?

... ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes davenn and anorlunda
phinds said:
So, what's the deal with your wanting more lightning?
You love to take pictures of it?
You just have an electric personality?
You have a neighbor that you are hoping gets struck by lightning?

... ?

All of the above :smile: :wink:

Seriously, I have been storm chasing for many years. There's an active group of fellow chasers locally
and most of us have chased around Australia and the USA mid-west.

Photographing big storms, seeing mother nature at her best ( worst) is awe-inspiring
Did you see the one in the latest photo comp ? … one of my favourites

Dave

Last edited:
Likes phinds
This is a little off-topic, but I have to ask: are there really two McDonald’s right next to each other in that bottom picture?

Likes Ibix, davenn and Bystander
Nice pictures

Likes davenn
TeethWhitener said:
This is a little off-topic, but I have to ask: are there really two McDonald’s right next to each other in that bottom picture?

hahaha, no, but there are 2 sets of arches
Google street view, from a slightly different angle that I took the pix from

street view.jpg

Likes Dragrath, Ibix and TeethWhitener
davenn said:
hahaha, no, but there are 2 sets of arches
Google street view, from a slightly different angle that I took the pix from

View attachment 255393
My God! Its full if arches!

• Haha
Likes davenn, Ibix and BillTre
Lightning.
Any rain worth mentioning?

256bits said:
Lightning.
Any rain worth mentioning?

Unfortunately, no. I was able to stay outside watching and photographing as the storm passed overhead
and it wasn' heavy enough to dive for cover to protect the camera gear :frown:

Likes Dragrath and 256bits
20200128: We too got our first lightning of the year.
Also some hailstorm.

A bit of a problem that it's Mid-Europa, and it's the middle of winter. This time we supposed to have snow.

Rive said:
20200128: We too got our first lightning of the year.
Also some hailstorm.

A bit of a problem that it's Mid-Europa, and it's the middle of winter. This time we supposed to have snow.
ohhhh .. the possibilities of thundersnow :smile: :smile:

1. What causes lightning to occur?

Lightning is caused by the buildup of electrical charges within a thunderstorm. As the storm clouds move and collide, positive and negative charges separate, creating an imbalance. When the difference in charges becomes too great, a discharge of electricity occurs, resulting in lightning.

2. How does lightning form?

Lightning is formed when the negatively charged bottom of a cloud attracts positive charges from the ground, creating a channel of electricity. This channel is then rapidly heated, causing it to expand and create a shock wave that we hear as thunder.

3. Is lightning dangerous?

Yes, lightning can be very dangerous. It is estimated that lightning strikes the Earth's surface about 100 times every second, and can reach temperatures of up to 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit. It can cause fires, damage to buildings, and even harm or kill humans and animals.

4. How can I stay safe during a lightning storm?

The safest place to be during a lightning storm is indoors, away from windows and doors. If you are outside, avoid open areas and tall objects such as trees or poles. If you are unable to find shelter, crouch down low on the ground, keeping your feet close together. Do not lie down or touch the ground with your hands.

5. Can lightning be predicted?

While we have advanced technology that can track and monitor thunderstorms, it is still difficult to predict exactly when and where lightning will strike. However, weather forecasters can give general warnings and advise people to take precautions when a thunderstorm is approaching.