2D collision response with friction

In summary: The amount of angular momentum added to each ball is proportional to the coefficient of friction, and is in the direction tangential to the surface. In summary, the collision response in a frictionless collision is calculated by determining the impulse on each object, taking into account their velocities, angular velocities, and the direction of the collision normal. However, in a collision with friction, the additional component of the impulse in the direction tangent to the normal is incorrect and does not consider the relative velocities of the collision points. Instead, friction adds angular momentum about the center of mass of each object, proportional to the coefficient of friction and in the direction tangential to the collision surface.
Crashgate3
I'm writing a little 2D physics engine. The collision response is calculated by working out the impulse (and so, change in momentum) on each object, and takes into account the objects' velocities, angular velocities, and the fact that the collision normal may be in a different direction to the relative velocities of the contact points on each object. I've got the impulse working fine for a frictionless collision - my objects seem to behave themselves when I set things running, but I'm having real trouble establishing how friction affects things - for example two spinning balls colliding, where the coefficient of friction will affect how much spin is transferred between the balls.

I'm working from David M Bourg's 'Physics For Game Developers' - Bourg states that the impulse, which in a frictionless collision is in the direction of the collision normal, gets an additional component added in the direction tangent to the normal, of magnitude equal to the coefficient of friction * impulse.

This seems wrong to me (and indeed, when I add this to my code, gives the wrong behaviour) - it doesn't seem to include the relative velocities of the two collision points in the direction of the collision tangent - even if the relative velocity along this tangent is zero, as in the case of two non-rotating spheres colliding, it would still add a sideways impulse which is clearly wrong.

Can anyone direct me any further?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crashgate3 said:
Bourg states that the impulse, which in a frictionless collision is in the direction of the collision normal, gets an additional component added in the direction tangent to the normal, of magnitude equal to the coefficient of friction * impulse.
That is incorrect. Friction is the component of force (or impulse) tangent to the surface and cannot add to the the component perpendicular to the surface. A collision with friction between two balls will add angular momentum about the CM of each ball such that the sum of changes of angular momenta is zero, i.e. angular momentum is conserved.

1. What is 2D collision response with friction?

2D collision response with friction is a concept in physics that describes the behavior of two objects colliding in a two-dimensional space while taking into account the effects of friction. This includes the calculation of the objects' final velocities and the direction of their movement after the collision.

2. How is friction involved in 2D collision response?

Friction plays a crucial role in 2D collision response as it affects the movement of the colliding objects after the collision. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of the objects and can cause them to slow down or change direction.

3. What factors influence the outcome of 2D collision response with friction?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of 2D collision response with friction. These include the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects, as well as the coefficient of friction between the surfaces of the objects.

4. How is momentum conserved in 2D collision response with friction?

Momentum is conserved in 2D collision response with friction, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. This is achieved by calculating the objects' final velocities using the principle of conservation of momentum.

5. Are there any real-life applications of 2D collision response with friction?

Yes, 2D collision response with friction is used in various real-life applications, such as in sports, car accidents, and video game physics. Understanding how objects behave after colliding with each other in a 2D space with friction is essential in predicting and preventing potential accidents or injuries.