2D kinematics -- Calculate the acceleration of the jumping athlete

In summary, 2D kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the forces that cause its motion. In 2D kinematics, acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. The acceleration of a jumping athlete can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to the ground, the angle of takeoff, air resistance, and the weight of the athlete. 2
Stewkatt
Homework Statement
An athlete with a mass of 62 kg jumps and lands on his feet. The ground exerts a total force of 1.1 x 10^3 N [backward 55 degrees up] on his feet. Calculate the acceleration of the athlete
Relevant Equations
F=delta p/delta t =ma
DCD301E4-C8E1-43CD-A362-D64E05F31F14.jpeg

this is my work but the answers say 11 m/s^2 so I made an error somewhere. Also if someone could help me with solving the direction for the acceleration, that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps because you have omitted the "backward 55 degrees up" direction of the reactive force.

image.jpg

yay, I figured it out. I still have to find the direction of acceleration and that’s it.

Stewkatt said:
yay, I figured it out. I still have to find the direction of acceleration and that’s it.
Did you find the direction of acceleration?

1. What is 2D kinematics?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's movement.

2. How do you calculate acceleration in 2D kinematics?

To calculate acceleration in 2D kinematics, you need to determine the change in velocity in both the horizontal and vertical directions over a given time period. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. In 2D kinematics, average acceleration takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components, while instantaneous acceleration can vary in different directions at any given moment.

4. How does the acceleration of a jumping athlete change over time?

The acceleration of a jumping athlete typically follows a parabolic path, with a gradual increase in acceleration as they push off the ground, reaching a peak at the highest point of their jump, and then gradually decreasing as they come back down to the ground.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of a jumping athlete?

The acceleration of a jumping athlete can be affected by factors such as the force they exert on the ground, their body mass, and air resistance. Other external factors such as the surface they are jumping on and the angle of their jump can also impact their acceleration.