2D Kinematics Problem dealing with acceleration

In summary, the average acceleration during the turn is 5.0m/s^2. The initial velocity of the plane is 46m/s in the positive x direction.
Element1674

Homework Statement

" An airplane turns slowly for 9.2s horizontally. The final velocity of the plane is 360km/hr [N]; the average acceleration during the turn is 5.0m/s^2 [W]. What is the initial velocity of the plane?"

Homework Equations

a=ΔV/t

The Attempt at a Solution

at=Δv
(5.0m/s^2[W])(9.2s)=Δv
46m/s[W]=Δv

...then from here I get stuck. I know the horizontal component of the plane at the end (final) is 0 and the vertical component (final) is 360km/hr, but this doesn't help me find any obvious solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Element1674 said:
I know the horizontal component of the plane at the end (final) is 0 and the vertical component (final) is 360km/hr, but this doesn't help me find any obvious solution.
I assume you mean EW, NS, not horizontal and vertical.
You have successfully calculated the change in velocity (a vector), and you know the final velocity, another vector. You are trying to find the initial velocity, a third vector. What, as vectors, is the relationship between the three?

I think I have it!
ΔV=Vf-Vi
Vf-Δv=Vi

I know the x and y components of each Δv and Vf so I set up 2 separate equations:
Vfx-ΔVx=Vix
(Same idea with y)

Then use Pythagorean with Viy and Vix to find Vi, find the angle using trig, etc?

I have an answer I'm hoping to compare with the result of the thread, if any.

Element1674 said:
I think I have it!
ΔV=Vf-Vi
Vf-Δv=Vi

I know the x and y components of each Δv and Vf so I set up 2 separate equations:
Vfx-ΔVx=Vix
(Same idea with y)

Then use Pythagorean with Viy and Vix to find Vi, find the angle using trig, etc?

That'll work.

Element1674 said:
I think I have it!
ΔV=Vf-Vi
Vf-Δv=Vi

Vfx-ΔVx=Vix
(Same idea with y)

Any plans for the acceleration a in direction W?

Related to 2D Kinematics Problem dealing with acceleration

1. What is 2D kinematics and how does it relate to acceleration?

2D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, specifically in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. Acceleration is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of velocity over time. In 2D kinematics, acceleration can be broken down into two components: tangential acceleration, which is the change in speed, and radial acceleration, which is the change in direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration in a 2D kinematics problem?

To calculate acceleration in a 2D kinematics problem, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. If the problem involves a change in direction, you will need to use vector addition to find the total acceleration.

3. Can the direction of acceleration change in a 2D kinematics problem?

Yes, the direction of acceleration can change in a 2D kinematics problem. This typically occurs when an object is moving in a curved path, such as a circle. In these cases, the acceleration is constantly changing direction, even if the speed remains constant.

4. How does mass affect acceleration in a 2D kinematics problem?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In a 2D kinematics problem, the mass of an object will affect its acceleration if there is a net force acting on it in the horizontal or vertical direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D kinematics problems dealing with acceleration?

One example is a car rounding a curve on a racetrack. The car's acceleration will constantly change direction as it follows the curve. Another example is a projectile, such as a ball being thrown at an angle. In this case, the acceleration will have both horizontal and vertical components as the ball moves through the air.