2D MAP Estimation with a Uniform Prior

In summary: Your Name].In summary, the joint distribution of the measurements, ##p(\mathbf{x}|x_1, x_2)##, can be written as the product of individual sensor models and a uniform prior, ##U(\mathbf{x} ; R)##. Finding the MAP estimate involves maximizing this joint distribution, which will result in a stationary point that lies on the radius of the circle with a distance of ##R## from ##x_p##. This can also be seen by considering the iso-likelihood contours, which will be far apart for points outside the circle, indicating a low likelihood of the probe landing there.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Two radar tracking stations provide independent measurements ##x_1## and ##x_2## of the landing site, ##\mathbf{x} = (x, y) ##, of a returning space probe. Both have Gaussian sensor models, ##p(x_i|X_i ) = N(X_i, \Sigma_i) ##. We also have a uniform prior, ##U(x_p ; R)##, which is a constant within a distance ##R## of ##x_p## , and zero beyond. Determine a constraint on the location of the MAP estimate when ## |x_{MLE} - x_p| > R ##
Relevant Equations
MAP
Hi,

I was attempting the following question, but got confused on this part:

Question:
Two radar tracking stations provide independent measurements ##x_1## and ##x_2## of the landing site, ##\mathbf{x} = (x, y) ##, of a returning space probe. Both have Gaussian sensor models, ##p(x_i|X_i ) = N(X_i, \Sigma_i) ##. We also have a uniform prior, ##U(x_p ; R)##, which is a constant within a distance ##R## of ##x_p## , and zero beyond. Determine a constraint on the location of the MAP estimate when ## |x_{MLE} - x_p| > R ##

Attempt:
I think the constraint is that the MAP estimation must lie on the radius of the circle (at a distance ##R## from ##x_p##) because the prior suggests it would be impossible (at least the model thinks so) for the probe to have landed outside the circle.

However, I cannot think of a more rigorous to support this statement. I was told to consider iso-likelihood contours, but am not quite sure how that may be of help in this scenario.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would approach this problem by considering the joint distribution of the measurements, ##p(\mathbf{x}|x_1, x_2)##. This joint distribution can be written as the product of the individual sensor models and the prior: ##p(\mathbf{x}|x_1, x_2) = p(x_1|\mathbf{x})p(x_2|\mathbf{x})U(\mathbf{x}; R)##.

Now, in order to find the MAP estimate, we need to maximize this joint distribution with respect to ##\mathbf{x}##. This can be done by finding the point where the gradient of the log of the joint distribution is equal to zero. This point is known as the stationary point and is the MAP estimate.

When we do this calculation, we will find that the MAP estimate is indeed constrained to lie on the radius of the circle with a distance of ##R## from ##x_p##. This can be seen by considering the derivatives of the log of the joint distribution with respect to ##x## and ##y##. These derivatives will be zero at the point on the circle where the probe is most likely to have landed.

Furthermore, we can also consider the iso-likelihood contours of the joint distribution. These are curves that connect points with the same likelihood value. The shape of these contours will depend on the sensor models and the prior. However, we can see that for points outside the circle of radius ##R##, the likelihood values will be very low, and the iso-likelihood contours will be far apart. This means that the probe is unlikely to have landed outside the circle, and the MAP estimate will be constrained to the circle.

I hope this helps to clarify the reasoning behind the constraint on the location of the MAP estimate. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional clarification.

1. What is 2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior?

2D MAP (Maximum A Posteriori) estimation with a uniform prior is a statistical method used to estimate the most likely values of two unknown variables, given a set of observed data. The "uniform prior" refers to the assumption that all possible values of the variables are equally likely.

2. How is 2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior different from other estimation methods?

2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior differs from other estimation methods, such as Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE), in that it takes into account prior knowledge or beliefs about the variables being estimated. This prior information is incorporated into the estimation process to improve the accuracy of the estimated values.

3. What types of data are suitable for 2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior?

2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior can be used for any type of data that can be represented by two variables, such as coordinates on a map, measurements of two physical quantities, or values of two parameters in a mathematical model.

4. How is the uniform prior chosen for 2D MAP estimation?

The uniform prior for 2D MAP estimation is typically chosen based on the available prior information about the variables being estimated. If there is no prior information, a flat or uninformative prior can be used, assuming that all possible values are equally likely. However, if there is some prior knowledge or belief about the variables, a more informative prior can be chosen to better reflect this information.

5. What are the advantages of using 2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior?

2D MAP estimation with a uniform prior has several advantages over other estimation methods. It allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge or beliefs, which can improve the accuracy of the estimated values. Additionally, it provides a measure of uncertainty in the estimated values, which can be useful for decision-making or further analysis.