2nd order differential equation

In summary, the given equation is solved by finding the auxiliary equation, which gives two complex roots. The particular solution is found by trying a trigonometric function and solving for the coefficients. The final solution is a combination of the particular and homogeneous solutions, with the correct coefficients for the particular solution. However, the given solution is incorrect due to a mistake in finding the coefficients for the particular solution and an error in the signs of the trigonometric functions in the homogeneous solution.
james.farrow
I have the following equation

d^2y/dx^2 +4dy/dx +8y = 4sin(2x) - 12cos(2x) y(0)=1 & y'(0)=-6

For the auxillary equation I have (m + 2)^2 = sqrt -4

which gives m=-2-2i & m=-2+2i

Which gives y=e^-2x(Ccos(-2x) + Dsin(-2x))

Now to tackle particular integral.

Try y=acos(2x) + bsin(2x)

After differentiatiing twice and equating I have a=-5 and b=-9

Finally I get y=e^-2x(Ccos(-2x) + Dsin(-2x)) - 5cos(2x) -9sin(2x)

After aplying the initial conditions my final answer is

y=6e^-2xcos(-2x) - 18e^-2sin(-2x) - 5cos(2x) - 9sin(2x)

In all my working it is only e that is raised to the power of -2x, I know it looks like the whole statement is raised but it isnt, the e^-2x is multiplied by the trig expression.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your question? You can check your solution yourself by confirming that for your solution,
1. y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = -6, and
2. y'' + 4y' + 8y = 4sin(2x) - 12cos(2x)

That's just it! I've tried putting my solution back in n it doesn't work... I'm going to have another go at it but I can't see where I've gone wrong!

Your particular solution -5cos(2x)-9sin(2x) is wrong. It doesn't solve y''+4y'+8y=4*sin(2x)-12*cos(2x). There's something wrong with how you got 'a=-5 and b=-9'.

You made a mistake on you calculation of the coefficients of your particular solution. I get a = -1, b = -1.

Also, the solution to the homogeneous equation should be yp = e-2x(C*cos(2x) + D*sin(2x)). You have cos(-2x) and sin(-2x).

Related to 2nd order differential equation

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives of the 2nd order. It is used to describe many physical processes, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

What are the types of 2nd order differential equations?

The types of 2nd order differential equations are linear, nonlinear, homogeneous, and non-homogeneous.

How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation, you first need to identify its type and then use appropriate methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. You may also need to apply initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution.

What is the role of 2nd order differential equations in science?

2nd order differential equations play a crucial role in science as they are used to model and understand various natural phenomena. They are particularly useful in physics, engineering, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of systems over time.

What are some real-life applications of 2nd order differential equations?

Some real-life applications of 2nd order differential equations include analyzing the motion of objects in freefall, predicting the spread of diseases, and modeling the behavior of electric circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and population dynamics.