3 physics problems concerning inductance and rlc circuit

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses three physics problems related to inductance and RLC circuits. The first problem involves determining the maximum resistance of a superconducting lead ring based on its inductance and the sensitivity of the experiment. The second problem involves finding the mutual inductance between a long straight conductor and a conducting rectangular loop on a printed circuit board. The third problem involves finding the inductance of a circuit with a battery, resistance, and capacitance, after the switch is opened. The conversation also includes a discussion on being off by a factor of ten and using the program Web Assign for help.
Pepsi24chevy
physics problems concerninginductance and rlc circuit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. "The resistance of a superconductor." In an experiment carried out by S. C. Collins between 1955 and 1958, a current was maintained in a superconducting lead ring for 2.50 yr with no observed loss. If the inductance of the ring was 3.14 10-8 H and the sensitivity of the experiment was 1 part in 109, what was the maximum resistance of the ring? (Suggestion: Treat this problem as a decaying current in an RL circuit and recall that e -x 1 - x for small x.)

So i have(R/L)t=10e-9 So i plug in and i get 3.98e-23 in which the program i am using says my answer is off by a magnitude of 10. I have recalculated it a few times and i get the same answer.

2.http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-09.gif
On a printed circuit board, a relatively long straight conductor and a conducting rectangular loop lie in the same plane, as shown in Figure P31.9. Taking h = 0.600 mm, w = 1.30 mm, and L = 2.30 mm, find their mutual inductance

With this problem, the long straight conductor and the loop aren't the same shape, so i don't know how to go about solving this. I know the forumla for mutual inductance for two wires, but that is about it.

3.http://www.webassign.net/pse/p32-50.gif
[PSE6 32.P.048.] In the circuit of Figure P32.48, the battery emf is 75 V, the resistance R is 220 , and the capacitance C is 0.500 µF. The switch S is closed for a long time, and no voltage is measured across the capacitor. After the switch is opened, the potential difference across the capacitor reaches a maximum value of 150 V. What is the value of the inductance L?

FOr this problem, i don't see how to find L using angular frequency= (1/sqrt(LC)) with the variables and info i am givin. That is the only equation i can find in my book to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't comment on 2.

Re 1, being off by a factor of ten often means a simple mistake in decimal point, or a typo in the answer book. What program are you referring to?

Re 3, looks like a simple DC circuit. What you need to do is develop the differential equation that describes the behavior of the circuit (i.e. voltage, current, time) when the switch is closed.

web assign is the program i am referring too. Also, thanks for all the help you have given me today. It has helped me out alot.

You are welcome.

Related to 3 physics problems concerning inductance and rlc circuit

1. What is inductance and how does it relate to RLC circuits?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In RLC circuits, inductance is represented by the letter L and is typically measured in units of Henrys (H). Inductance is an important component in RLC circuits as it affects the flow of current and the behavior of the circuit.

2. What are the types of RLC circuits?

There are three main types of RLC circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series RLC circuit, all components are connected in a series, meaning that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, all components are connected in parallel, meaning that the voltage across each component is the same. A series-parallel RLC circuit combines elements of both series and parallel configurations.

3. How do I calculate the total inductance in a series RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the total inductance (L) is equal to the sum of the individual inductances. This can be represented by the equation L = L1 + L2 + L3 + ... + Ln, where L1, L2, L3, etc. are the individual inductances of each component in the circuit. It is important to note that in a series circuit, the current remains constant while the voltage is divided among the components.

4. How does an increase or decrease in inductance affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

An increase in inductance will cause the circuit to resist changes in current, resulting in a larger time constant and a slower response time. On the other hand, a decrease in inductance will result in a more rapid response time. Additionally, an increase in inductance can cause the circuit to resonate at a lower frequency, while a decrease in inductance can cause resonance at a higher frequency.

5. Can inductance be controlled in an RLC circuit?

Yes, inductance can be controlled by adjusting the physical properties of the circuit, such as the number of turns in a coil or the material used for the inductor. Additionally, inductance can also be controlled by using external components such as variable inductors or capacitors. By controlling the inductance, the behavior and response of the RLC circuit can be altered to suit specific needs and applications.