30-60-90 triangle side lengths

• MHB
  • Thread starter jimhayes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the lengths of the legs of the 30-60-90 triangle with a long leg of 8 are $\displaystyle{\frac{8 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}}$ for the short leg and $\displaystyle{\frac{16 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}}$ for the hypotenuse.
jimhayes
I have a 30-60-90 triangle with the length of 8 for the long leg. I am trying to find the lengths of the other two legs. I believe the short leg is x, and hypotenuse is 2x, and the long leg is x times the \sqrt{3}. I put x times \sqrt{3}=8 although I am not sure how to do this formula to find the value of x. I also don't have a calculator with square root functions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jimhayes said:
I have a 30-60-90 triangle with the length of 8 for the long leg. I am trying to find the lengths of the other two legs. I believe the short leg is x, and hypotenuse is 2x, and the long leg is x times the \sqrt{3}. I put x times \sqrt{3}=8 although I am not sure how to do this formula to find the value of x. I also don't have a calculator with square root functions.

short leg: $x$
hypotenuse: $2x$
long leg: $x \cdot \sqrt{3}$

It is given that the long leg is $8$, so $\displaystyle{x \cdot \sqrt{3}=8 \Rightarrow x=\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{8 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3} \cdot \sqrt{3}}=\frac{8 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}}$

So, the short leg is $\displaystyle{\frac{8 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}}$ and the hypotenuse is $\displaystyle{2\frac{8 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}=\frac{16 \cdot \sqrt{3}}{3}}$

What is a 30-60-90 triangle?

A 30-60-90 triangle is a special type of right triangle where the angles are 30, 60, and 90 degrees. It is also known as an "acute triangle" because all of its angles are less than 90 degrees.

What are the side lengths of a 30-60-90 triangle?

The side lengths of a 30-60-90 triangle follow a specific ratio of x : x√3 : 2x, where x is the length of the shortest side (opposite the 30 degree angle). This means that the hypotenuse (opposite the 90 degree angle) is always twice the length of the shortest side, and the side opposite the 60 degree angle is always √3 times the length of the shortest side.

How do I find the missing side length of a 30-60-90 triangle?

If you know the length of one side of a 30-60-90 triangle, you can use the ratio x : x√3 : 2x to find the other two side lengths. For example, if the shortest side has a length of 4, then the side opposite the 60 degree angle would have a length of 4√3, and the hypotenuse would have a length of 8.

Can a 30-60-90 triangle be a right triangle?

Yes, a 30-60-90 triangle is always a right triangle because it has a 90 degree angle. This angle is always opposite the longest side (the hypotenuse) and is formed by the two legs of the triangle intersecting at a right angle.

How can I use the 30-60-90 triangle theorem in real life?

The 30-60-90 triangle theorem can be used in various real-life situations, such as in construction and engineering. For example, if you know the length of the shortest side of a 30-60-90 triangle, you can use the theorem to determine the necessary lengths for other sides in order to create a stable and symmetrical structure. It can also be used in navigation and surveying to calculate distances and angles.