30FPS displayed on a 200Hz monitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility of NTSC files with a PAL TV that has a refresh rate of 200Hz. The conversation delves into calculating the best average frame rate to achieve a smooth playback without dropping frames. The suggested method involves showing a fraction of images for 6 frames and the rest for 7 frames, with the ideal average frame rate being 30fps. The conversation also touches on the possibility of mixing images for a smoother result.
Daveigh
Hello!

I have a PAL TV, and that means it is best for footage of 25fps and 50fps
The TV's refresh rate is 200Hz
Well, my questions are:
What happens if I play an NTSC file on the TV? (≈30fps), since it doesn't go well with 200Hz much (isn't a multiple)...
  • I thought about how would the TV display such files, assuming and hoping that no frames are dropped.
  • I thought that if you copy a frame 7 times at 200Hz it is approximately 28fps, and if you copy a frame 6 times, it is approximately 33fps.
  • Since the average of them is about 30.95fps, it quite irritates me, as I tend to be quite perfectionist...
  • I wanted to calculate how much frames to play at 33fps and how much frames to play at 28fps (overall in a second) to achieve the closest result to 30fps, again, without dropping frames.

I've made a sort of a assumption, which I have no idea if right or even close to reality, since my knowledge at math is quite basic.

Here is the link to all the calculations I attempted:
desmos.com/calculator/76jnihypub

I hope it is understandable enough, and since I have a tendency to confuse between cycle time and frequency, I cannot tell if what I've done makes any sense, it could be absolute nonesense...

If it is not even close, then please, I would like if someone could enlighten me and show me how should this be done.And as a side question, if anyone is familiar with this, what do TVs with various refresh rates actually do when given files whose frame rates don't have a common divisor with the Hz of the monitor?
Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why so complicated? Let a fraction p of images been shown for 6 frames, the other for 7 frames.
Then the average number of frames per image is 6+p which means the average time of an image is (6+p)/200 seconds. This should be the same as 1/30 second, therefore 1/30 = (6+p)/200. And this has a nice simple solution.
I don't know if monitors actually do this (you can get a better (more fluent) result if you mix the two images).

mfb said:
Why so complicated? Let a fraction p of images been shown for 6 frames, the other for 7 frames.
Then the average number of frames per image is 6+p which means the average time of an image is (6+p)/200 seconds. This should be the same as 1/30 second, therefore 1/30 = (6+p)/200. And this has a nice simple solution.
I don't know if monitors actually do this (you can get a better (more fluent) result if you mix the two images).

B1%7D%7B30%7D%3D%5Cfrac%7Bp+6%7D%7B200%7D%5C%3B%5Crightarrow%5C%3Bp%3D%5Cfrac%7B2%7D%7B3%7D.gif
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what exactly does p stand for?
Do I have to do the same thing with (p+7)/200?
If yes what should I do after, and what in conclusion is the best average frame rate?

mfb said:
Let a fraction p of images been shown for 6 frames, the other for 7 frames.
I don't see where you would get (p+7)/200 from. The average number of frames won't exceed 7.

p=2/3 suggests to use 2 images for 7 frames and 1 for 6 frames. 3 images in 20 frames, or 30 images in 200 frames, which directly matches your frame rates.

mfb said:
I don't see where you would get (p+7)/200 from. The average number of frames won't exceed 7.

p=2/3 suggests to use 2 images for 7 frames and 1 for 6 frames. 3 images in 20 frames, or 30 images in 200 frames, which directly matches your frame rates.

Wait so this is the method you mentioned that mixes the images?

No. What I meant with "mixing" is something like this, but on a shorter timescale.

1. What is the significance of displaying 30FPS on a 200Hz monitor?

The significance of displaying 30FPS on a 200Hz monitor is that the monitor is capable of refreshing the image 200 times per second, while the content being displayed is only changing 30 times per second. This results in the same image being displayed multiple times, creating a smoother and more fluid motion.

2. Can a 200Hz monitor display content at a higher FPS than 30?

Yes, a 200Hz monitor is capable of displaying content at a higher FPS than 30. However, if the content being displayed is only at 30FPS, the monitor will still refresh at 200Hz but will display the same image multiple times, making it appear smoother.

3. Is there a noticeable difference between displaying 30FPS on a 200Hz monitor versus a 60Hz monitor?

Yes, there is a noticeable difference. The 200Hz monitor will display the same image multiple times, making the motion appear smoother and more fluid compared to a 60Hz monitor. However, if the content being displayed is at a higher FPS, the difference may not be as noticeable.

4. Can a 200Hz monitor improve the quality of content that is originally at 30FPS?

No, a 200Hz monitor cannot improve the quality of content that is originally at 30FPS. The monitor can only display the content at the given FPS, but it may appear smoother and less choppy due to the higher refresh rate.

5. Do all monitors with a higher refresh rate improve the quality of lower FPS content?

No, not all monitors with a higher refresh rate will improve the quality of lower FPS content. The improvement in motion smoothness will depend on the difference between the monitor's refresh rate and the content's FPS. A 200Hz monitor will not make a significant difference in displaying 30FPS content, but a 120Hz monitor may show a noticeable improvement.

Back