3d interpolation in Python using a mesh grid

In summary, the conversation discusses using four arrays of data (xvalues, yvalues, zvalues, and wvalues) to create an interpolated function in Python. This can be done using a meshgrid and calling scipy's interpolation. The individual has experience with 1D interpolation but is seeking resources for multidimensional interpolation. The documentation on scipy's website provides information on N-dimensional interpolation for both unstructured and gridded data.
CAF123
Gold Member
I have four arrays of data xvalues[], yvalues[], zvalues[] and wvalues[] and I want to create, from this data, an interpolated function w = f(x,y,z). Is it easy to do this in python using first a meshgrid and then calling scipy's interpolation?

e.g toy set up is something like, where wvalues contains 5x3x6 values.

`xvalues = np.array([0,1,2,3,4]);
yvalues = np.array([0,1,2]);
zvalues = np.array([0,1,2,3,4,5]);
wvalues = np.array([10,9,8,...])'

`xx,yy,zz,ww = np.meshgrid(xvalues, yvalues, zvalues, wvalues)` produces a grid containing many points and at each point there is a value for the tuple (x,y,z,w). I've done simple 1D interpolations in python before but I've not found any resources which can help with a multidimensional interpolation using a mesh grid. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
Likes scottdave

1. What is 3D interpolation in Python using a mesh grid?

3D interpolation in Python using a mesh grid is a method of estimating values for points within a 3D space based on known data points. This is done by creating a grid of points and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the values for the unknown points within the grid.

2. How is a mesh grid created in Python?

A mesh grid can be created in Python using the NumPy library. The meshgrid() function takes in two 1-dimensional arrays and returns two 2-dimensional arrays representing the x and y coordinates of a 2D grid. These arrays can then be used to create a 3D mesh grid by adding a third dimension.

3. What are some common interpolation methods used in 3D interpolation?

Some common interpolation methods used in 3D interpolation include linear interpolation, nearest neighbor interpolation, and spline interpolation. These methods use different mathematical algorithms to estimate values for unknown points within a 3D space.

4. How is 3D interpolation useful in data analysis?

3D interpolation is useful in data analysis because it allows for the estimation of values for points within a 3D space, even if those points were not originally measured or recorded. This can help fill in gaps in data and provide a more complete understanding of the overall data set.

5. Can 3D interpolation be applied to non-uniform data?

Yes, 3D interpolation can be applied to non-uniform data. This is because the interpolation methods used take into account the values of neighboring data points to estimate values for unknown points, regardless of their spacing or distribution within the 3D space.