3D quantum harmonic oscillator: linear combination of states

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the 3D quantum harmonic oscillator and finding a state with specific energy and quantum numbers as a linear combination of Cartesian states. The conversation also delves into the use of spherical and Cartesian coordinates and the derivation of the radial equation. The final solution involves expressing the spherical wave function as a linear combination of Cartesian wave functions using Hermite polynomials.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! In my quantum mechanics introductory course we were given an exercise about the 3D quantum harmonic oscillator. We are supposed to write the state ##l=2##, ##m=2## with energy ##E=\frac{7}{2}\hbar \omega## as a linear combination of Cartesian states ##\psi_{n_x, n_y, n_z}##.

Homework Equations

##Y_{nlm} (r,\theta,\varphi)=R_{nl}(r) Y_l^m(\theta,\varphi)##

The Attempt at a Solution

This comes at the end of a series of exercises about the QHO, so I already know that for this energy I must have ##n=2## and ##n_r=0## since ##n=2n_r+l## and ##E_n = (2n_r+l+\frac{3}{2})\hbar\omega##. I've also seen ##k## being used instead of ##n_r##. Just to make sure what I mean, this is the degree of the polynomial in the radial equation for which any coefficient ##a_{n_r+1}=0## (it terminates the series). Please note that ##n=0## is my ground state energy (and not ##n=1## as for the hydrogen atom for example).

I've worked hard on the derivation of the radial equation, it was very long and tedious so I spare you that part. I found the following:

##R_{n l} (r) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_k \left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} r \right)^{l+2k} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} r^2}##

I believe this is correct (according to this source: http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node244.html), and after normalization (not asked, but well) my whole wave function in spherical coordinates looks like:

##\psi_{220} (r,\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{16}{15}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} \left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \right)^{7/4} r^2 e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} r^2} Y_2^0 (\theta)##

where ##Y_2^0(\theta)=\sqrt{\frac{5}{16\pi}} (3 \cos^2 \theta - 1)##.

Now the part ##r^2 (3 \cos^2 \theta - 1) = 2z^2-x^2-y^2## and I rearranged the expressions until I got terms looking like

##\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{1/4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2^2 \cdot 2!}} H_2 \left( \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x \right) e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} r^2}##

since that is the wave function for each 1D oscillator (of course you would have to replace ##x## with ##y## and ##z## for the other states). And by the way I chose the Hermite polynomial ##H_2## because my cartesian coordinates are squared and that's the only way I could fit them in the cartesian wave function.

So at the end I get a linear combination of cartesian states

##\psi(x,y,z)= \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \pi^{-1/4} \left[ \psi_2(z) - \frac{1}{2} \left( \psi_2(x)+\psi_2(y) \right) \right]##

I don't expect anyone to correct this, my problem is just that I don't understand at all the point of doing that. I don't understand why we would want a linear combination of states and not a product. Maybe I really misunderstood the question and we were really suppose to find a linear combination of 3D states (and not 1D...)? If so, I wouldn't know what to do with my ##2z^2-x^2-y^2##...

And one last question: why am I not just retrieving one of the 6 possible ground states associated with energy ##\frac{7}{2}\hbar \omega##? I guess that's similar to my previous question: I was expecting a product of states when transforming from spherical to cartesian coordinates, not a linear combination.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and suggestions.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

The problem states that ##m = 2##, but the spherical harmonic ##Y^0_2## implies ##m = 0##.

As you note, ##r^2Y^m_l## yields a polynomial in ##x, y, z##. But why do you say that this implies that the wavefunction ##\psi_{n_x, n_y, n_z}(x,y,z)## should be a sum of ##\psi_{n_x}(x)##, ##\psi_{n_y}(y)##, ##\psi_{n_z}(z)## rather than a linear combination of products of ##\psi_{n_x}(x)##, ##\psi_{n_y}(y)##, and ##\psi_{n_z}(z)##?

Last edited:
How did you manage to break up the exponential term since ##e^{-\alpha r^2} = e^{-\alpha(x^2+y^2+z^2)} = e^{-\alpha x^2}e^{-\alpha y^2}e^{-\alpha z^2}##?

JulienB said:
Maybe I really misunderstood the question and we were really suppose to find a linear combination of 3D states (and not 1D...)?
Yes, you want linear combinations of 3D states ##\psi_{n_x, n_y, n_z}(x, y, z) = \psi_{n_x}(x) \psi_{n_y}(y) \psi_{n_z}(z)##
If so, I wouldn't know what to do with my ##2z^2-x^2-y^2##...
You will get a different polynomial if you use ##Y^2_2## rather than ##Y^0_2##. But, you should be able to express the polynomial as combinations of Hermite polynomials. This should help in finding the coefficients in the expansion ##\psi(x, y, z) = \sum c_{n_x, n_y, n_z} \psi_{n_x, n_y, n_z}(x, y, z)##

@TSny Oops sorry I made a mistake. ##m=0## in the problem. My bad.

@vela Good point, I didn't realize that...

Okay I guess I go back to the drawing board, I will post my progress as soon as I have something.

Thank you very much for your help.

Julien.

Okay here is my new attempt:

##\psi_{220}(r,\theta)=\sqrt{\frac{16}{15}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} \left( \frac{\hbar}{m\omega} \right)^{1/4} \left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \right)^2 r^2 e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} r^2} \sqrt{\frac{5}{16\pi}} (3 \cos^2\theta-1)##
##=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}\pi} \left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \right)^{7/4} r^2 (3\cos^2\theta - 1) e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} r^2}##
##= \frac{1}{\sqrt{3} \pi} \left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \right)^{7/4} (2z^2-x^2-y^2) e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} (x^2+y^2+z^2)}##
##=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3} \pi}\left( \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \right)^{7/4} \left[\frac{1}{2} H_2 \left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} z}\right) + 1 - \frac{1}{4} H_2\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x}\right) - \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{4} H_2\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} y}\right) - \frac{1}{2} \right] e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} (x^2+y^2+z^2)}##
##=\left( \frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{3/4} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2^2 \cdot 2!}} \right)^3 e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar} (x^2+y^2+z^2)} \left( \frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right) 8 \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \left( \frac{1}{\pi} \right)^{1/4} \left[ H_2\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} z}\right) - \frac{1}{2} H_2\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} x}\right) - \frac{1}{2} H_2\left(\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar} y}\right) \right]##
##= \frac{8}{\pi^{1/4}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \left[ \psi_{002}(z) - \frac{1}{2} \left( \psi_{200}(x) + \psi_{020}(y) \right) \right]##

I wrote all my steps this time so that the train of thought is easier to follow. I took your remarks in consideration and tried to bring the spherical wave function in a linear combination of cartesian wave functions. Not quite sure I labeled the wave functions correctly, and I still don't quite get what this whole thing means.

Thank you in advance.Julien.

OK, that's starting to look good. But note that , for example, ##\psi_{002}(z)## is actually a function of ##x##, ##y##, and ##z##:
##\psi_{002} = \psi_0(x) \psi_0(y)\psi_2(z)##,
where each of the ##\psi##'s in the expression on the right is a 1D Harmonic oscillator function.

Also, I don't think your final expression is normalized (if that matters).

As far as what the whole thing means, you can think of the 3D Cartesian functions as forming a basis. You have expanded the given wavefunction (in spherical coordinates) in terms of the Cartesian basis.

Likes JulienB
@TSny Ah yes, I oversaw the x,y,z dependence indeed. Your explanation makes sense about the basis. I think I can close this topic now, thank you very much for your input.

Julien.

1. What is a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator?

A 3D quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle moving in a three-dimensional potential well, similar to a simple harmonic oscillator but in three dimensions. It is a fundamental system in quantum mechanics and has many applications in fields such as quantum chemistry and solid-state physics.

2. What does it mean to have a linear combination of states in a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator?

A linear combination of states in a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator refers to the mathematical representation of a quantum state as a weighted sum of other states. In this case, the states are the energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator, and the coefficients represent the probability amplitudes of each state. This allows us to describe more complex quantum states in terms of simpler ones.

3. How is the energy of a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator related to its quantum states?

In a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator, the energy of the system is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. These values are determined by the quantum states of the system, with each energy eigenstate corresponding to a specific energy level. The higher the energy level, the more energy the system has and the more complex the quantum state will be.

4. Can a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator exist in a superposition of states?

Yes, a 3D quantum harmonic oscillator can exist in a superposition of states. This means that the system can be in multiple energy eigenstates simultaneously, with each state having a certain probability amplitude. In other words, the system can exist in a combination of different energy levels, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

5. How is the 3D quantum harmonic oscillator different from the 1D and 2D versions?

The 3D quantum harmonic oscillator differs from the 1D and 2D versions in its dimensionality. In a 1D harmonic oscillator, the particle is confined to move in only one dimension, while in a 2D harmonic oscillator, it can move in two dimensions. In a 3D harmonic oscillator, the particle is free to move in all three dimensions, making it a more complex and realistic model. Additionally, the energy levels in the 3D version are more closely spaced compared to the 1D and 2D versions, resulting in a more continuous energy spectrum.