3D Recipricol Space Mapping of Nanowires by using x-rays

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of an x-ray experiment and the procedure for obtaining a 3D map of the sample. It is determined that rotating the sample about the substrate surface normal will not provide new information unless the nanotubes are aligned with a specific substrate direction. The diffraction data obtained will depend on the scattering angle and the angle between the incident beam and the substrate.
poul
Hey

I have a x-ray setup as in the figure, where alpha is the angles between the incoming x-ray beam and the sample. The x-ray are scattered, and measured by a 2D detector in the two outgoing angles. From this i will get a "slice" of the 3D recipricol map. If a want a 3D map, i think i will get nothing by rotating the sample i omega, since the nanowire planes have random orientation in omega. Instead i should change alpha. I this the right procedure?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/setupso.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/setupso.jpg/

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a powder sample (or randomly oriented nanowires), then all diffraction data you get will only depend on the scattering angle, i.e. the angle between the inciden beam and the exit beam (which you can calculate from the position on the 2D detector).

If you have a monolayer of nanotubes then you signal will also depend on the angle between the incident beam and the substrate.

In both cases, rotating the sample about the substrate surface normal will not give any new information, except if the nanotubes are aligned with some substrate direction (steps, ...).

1. What is 3D Reciprocal Space Mapping of Nanowires?

3D Reciprocal Space Mapping of Nanowires is a technique used in materials science to study the crystal structure and orientation of nanowires. It involves using x-rays to measure the diffraction patterns of the nanowires, which can then be mapped onto a three-dimensional reciprocal space.

2. How does x-ray diffraction work in this technique?

X-ray diffraction is a process where x-rays are directed at a material and their interactions with the atoms in the material are analyzed. In the case of 3D Reciprocal Space Mapping of Nanowires, the x-rays are diffracted by the crystal lattice of the nanowires, producing a diffraction pattern that can be used to determine the crystal structure and orientation of the nanowires.

3. What are the advantages of using this technique?

3D Reciprocal Space Mapping of Nanowires has several advantages. It allows for a non-destructive and non-invasive way to study the crystal structure and orientation of nanowires. It also provides a more comprehensive understanding of the nanowires' properties, such as strain and defects, compared to other techniques.

4. How is this technique useful in nanotechnology?

This technique is useful in nanotechnology because it allows researchers to study the crystal structure and orientation of nanowires, which are essential for their properties and performance. By understanding the nanowires at a molecular level, researchers can improve their design and functionality for various applications.

5. What are the potential applications of this technique?

3D Reciprocal Space Mapping of Nanowires has a wide range of potential applications in materials science, nanotechnology, and other fields. It can be used to study the crystal structure and orientation of nanowires in various materials, such as semiconductors, metals, and polymers. This technique can also be applied to understand the growth and development of nanowires and to improve their properties for specific applications, such as in electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices.