What is the Maximum Ratio of m1 to m2 to Keep m1 Stationary in a Pulley System?

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary: I thank you very much Haruspex, you are a great teacher, i know that i'm annoying and i'm very sorry.You are welcome.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap3.jpg
[/B]
m1 must stay in place. express m4 with the rest.
What must be the maximum ratio ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}## in order m1 will stay in place.

Homework Equations

Mass-acceleration: F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

2 cases, in the first ##m_1<m_2##, which is drawn above:
$$T_1=m_1g,~~m_2g-T_1=m_2a_2~~\rightarrow~~a_2=\left( \frac{m_2-m_1}{m_2} \right)g$$
$$\frac{1}{2}a_2=a_3,~~2T_1=T_3,~~T_3-T_4=m_3a_3~~\rightarrow~~T_4=2T_1-\frac{1}{2}m_3a_3$$
$$T_4-m_4g=m_4a_3~~\rightarrow~~m_4=\frac{T_4}{a_3+g}=\frac{4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3}{3m_2-m_1}$$
Since here ##m_1<m_2## the denominator of m4 is positive, so the nominator must be positive too:
$$4m_1m_2>(m_2-m_1)m_3,~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}\triangleq k~~\rightarrow~~k>\frac{m_3}{4m_2+m_3}$$
In the second scenario ##m_1>m_2##:

$$T_1-m_2g=m_2a_2~~\rightarrow~~a_2=\left( \frac{m_1-m_2}{m_2} \right)g$$
$$T_4-T_3=m_3a_3~~\rightarrow~~T_4=2T_1+\frac{1}{2}m_3a_3$$
$$m_4g-T_4=m_4a_3~~\rightarrow~~m_4=\frac{T_4}{g-a_3}=\frac{4m_1m_2+(m_1-m_2)m_3}{3m_2-m_1}$$
Since here ##m_1<m_2## the nominator is positive so the also must be the denominator, thus:
$$m_2-m_1~~\rightarrow~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}<3$$
Which doesn't make sense since the ratio doesn't include m3 or m4 at least, as in the previous case.

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
##-\frac 12m_3a_3##
Where did that 1/2 come from?

Edit: I guess that was just a transcription error. Later lines look ok.

In case 1 you found a lower bound for m1/m2. I see no contradiction. You were only asked for an upper bound.

Last edited:
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} T_3-T_4=m_3a_3 \\ 2T_1=T_3 \\ \frac{1}{2}a_2=a_3 \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~T_4=2T_1-\frac{1}{2}m_3a_2$$
haruspex said:
In case 1 you found a lower bound for m1/m2. I see no contradiction. You were only asked for an upper bound.
But why doesn't ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}<3## include at least one of the rest? doesn't the second scenario depend on them also?

Karol said:
$$\left\{\begin{array}{l} T_3-T_4=m_3a_3 \\ 2T_1=T_3 \\ \frac{1}{2}a_2=a_3 \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~T_4=2T_1-\frac{1}{2}m_3a_2$$

But why doesn't ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}<3## include at least one of the rest? doesn't the second scenario depend on them also?
It depends how you read the question.
If you read it as finding the max ratio such that a set of masses exists satisfying the condition then you get (anything up to but not including) 3.
If you read it as the max ratio given the masses m2, m3, m4 then you get that it is less than (3m4+m3)/(4m2+m3+m4).

haruspex said:
If you read it as the max ratio given the masses m2, m3, m4 then you get that it is less than (3m4+m3)/(4m2+m3+m4).
$$m_4=\frac{4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3}{3m_2-m_1}~~\rightarrow~~4m_1m_2+m_1m_3+m_1m_4=m_2m_3+3m_2m_4$$
$$\frac{4m_1m_2+m_1m_3+m_1m_4}{m_2}=\frac{m_2m_3+3m_2m_4}{m_2}=4m_2\frac{m_1}{m_2}+m_3\frac{m_1}{m_2}+m_4\frac{m_1}{m_2}=m_3+3m_4$$
$$(4m_2+m_3+m_4)\frac{m_1}{m_2}=m_3+3m_4~~\rightarrow~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}=\frac{m_3+3m_4}{4m_2+m_3+m_4}$$
Why, specifically, ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}<...## and not ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}>...##?
I didn't see that both scenarios yield the same equation ##m_4=\frac{4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3}{3m_2-m_1}##. but from this equation i can deduce other things.
First scenario:
$$m_1<m_2~~\rightarrow~~3m_2-m_1>0~~\rightarrow~~4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3>0~~\rightarrow~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}>\frac{m_3}{m_3+4m_2}$$
Second scenario:
$$m_1>m_2~~\rightarrow~~or\left\{\begin{array}{l} 3m_2-m_1>0~~\rightarrow~~4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3>0~~\rm{exists~for~all~m_i} \\ 3m_2-m_1<0~~\rightarrow~~4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3<0~~\rm{cannot~be} \end{array}\right.$$
Does all this derivation apply to your:
haruspex said:
If you read it as finding the max ratio such that a set of masses exists satisfying the condition then you get (anything up to but not including) 3.
And also, if i just want that to happen, i have to: ##3m_2-m_1\neq 0##

Last edited:
Karol said:
Why, specifically, ##\frac{m_1}{m_2}<##...?
Because there is a numerical upper bound (3) but no numerical lower bound greater than zero. If you make m3 and m4 arbitrarily small compared to m2 you can make m1/m2 arbitrarily close to 0.
Karol said:
Does all this derivation apply to your:
Yes, we are saying the same there.

haruspex said:
Because there is a numerical upper bound (3) but no numerical lower bound greater than zero. If you make m3 and m4 arbitrarily small compared to m2 you can make m1/m2 arbitrarily close to 0.
Why upper limit? in the scenario where ##m_1>m_2## i can make m3 and m4 big and they will pull up the pulley

Karol said:
Why upper limit? in the scenario where ##m_1>m_2## i can make m3 and m4 big and they will pull up the pulley
The ratio m1/m2 can never exceed 3. Look at how the expression on the right varies as you change m2, m3 and m4. To maximise it you need a large m4 compared to m2 and m3. As m4 tends to infinity, what does the expression tend to?

haruspex said:
As m4 tends to infinity, what does the expression tend to?
$$\frac{m_1}{m_2}=\frac{3\infty}{\infty}=3$$
But now i don't understand what i have done in:
$$m_1<m_2~~\rightarrow~~3m_2-m_1>0~~\rightarrow~~4m_1m_2-(m_2-m_1)m_3>0~~\rightarrow~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}>\frac{m_3}{m_3+4m_2}$$
$$for:~m_3\rightarrow 0~~\Rightarrow~~\frac{m_1}{m_2}\rightarrow 0$$
If m3 is small, and ##m_1<m_2##, m4 must be small but it doesn't appear.

Karol said:
If m3 is small, and m1<m2, m4 ... doesn't appear.
As you wrote in post #5, the full equation is the same in both cases. In your analysis of m1<m2, you used that to get rid of m4 before letting m3 tend to zero. It only looks different because your analysis followed a different sequence.

I thank you very much Haruspex

1. How does the number of masses affect the mechanical advantage of a system with 3 pulleys?

The number of masses does not directly affect the mechanical advantage of a system with 3 pulleys. The mechanical advantage is determined by the number of ropes supporting the load, which in this case is 3. However, the weight of the masses does impact the overall force needed to lift the load.

2. Can you explain how to calculate the mechanical advantage in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys?

To calculate the mechanical advantage in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys, you need to count the number of ropes supporting the load. In this case, there are 3 ropes supporting the load, so the mechanical advantage is 3.

3. How does the arrangement of the pulleys affect the mechanical advantage in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys?

The arrangement of the pulleys does not affect the mechanical advantage in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys. As long as the number of ropes supporting the load remains the same, the mechanical advantage will also remain the same. However, the arrangement of the pulleys can affect the direction of the force needed to lift the load.

4. Can the mechanical advantage of a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys be greater than 3?

No, the mechanical advantage in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys cannot be greater than 3. This is because the mechanical advantage is determined by the number of ropes supporting the load, and in this case, there are only 3 ropes supporting the load. However, the use of additional pulleys can increase the distance the rope must travel, resulting in a greater mechanical advantage.

5. How does the weight of the masses affect the force needed to lift the load in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys?

The weight of the masses directly affects the force needed to lift the load in a system with 4 masses and 3 pulleys. The more massive the loads are, the greater the force required to lift them. This is due to the principle of mechanical advantage, where a smaller force is required to lift a larger load by distributing the weight over multiple ropes.