4-momentum conservation (Deuteron + Photon)

In summary, the homework equation states that a photon of energy E1 will break the deuteron apart with the minimum energy being when its kinetic energy equals the deuterons binding energy.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So,

[tex]\gamma + D \rightarrow p + n[/tex]

[tex](E_1,\underline{k}_1) + (E_2,\underline{0}) = 2(E_3,\underline{k}_3)[/tex]

where I have assumed E3 ≈ E4 and k3k4 as mn≈ mp and vp = vn

then splitting E and K components up and solving for photon energy E1 I end up with,

[tex]E_1 = \frac{4m_p^2}{2E_2}-\frac{E_2}{2}[/tex]

this is where I start to get confused, so the binding energy of the Deuteron is given in the question, would I need to calculate the rest energy of the Deuteron E2 as,

[tex]E_2 = [m_p + m_n + m_e]c^2 - B(^2_1D_1)[/tex] (c=1)

if I do this and then sub values in I get E1 = 0.4236MeV, ok so I realize the question is asking to show that the minimum energy of the photon needed is when vp=vn, the way I understand this is that the minimum energy required to break the deuteron apart would be the deuterons binding energy. Therefore my value of E2 should be equal or at least close to 2.2MeV but it's not so I have obviously interpreted something badly, can anyone help?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look ok to me except I don't see the reason for including the mass of the electron in your deuteron energy.

if I ... sub values in I get E2 = 0.4236MeV

Did you mean E1 here? Anyway, I don't see how you got this value.

TSny said:
Your equations look ok to me except I don't see the reason for including the mass of the electron in your deuteron energy.

Did you mean E1 here? Anyway, I don't see how you got this value.

Yes I did mean E1, so I solved the 4-momentum conservation for Energy of the photon, then used the Deuterons binding energy to calculate its rest energy, subbed in the expression for the photon energy and ended up getting that value. Could you elaborate which part you don't see? I have obviously done something wrong so I don't see how I got to that value apparently either, is my methodology correct? If so then I must have made an error somewhere along my calculations.

EDIT: My bad the deuteron is just the nucleus of the deuterium right? I'll recalculate without the electron energy. . . :)

I don't see anything wrong in your equations. Just in the numerical result.

TSny said:
I don't see anything wrong in your equations. Just in the numerical result.

ok so neglecting any electron energy I end up with deuteron rest energy as 1875.625411MeV, plug this into the E1 expression and get E1 as 0.9348MeV, that's still not really a good result right? Any ideas? :s

I'm using mass of proton as 938.28MeV/c^2 and mass of neutron as 939.57MeV/c^2 btw

Surely it's not possible for the photon to split the Deuteron with less energy than its binding energy?

Lengalicious said:
Surely it's not possible for the photon to split the Deuteron with less energy than its binding energy?

That's right.

I think the problem is using the approximation mp + mn ≈ 2mp in E3 but not making that approximation in E2.

The result for E1 involves small differences and so you need to be careful with any approximations.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
That's right.

I think the problem is using the approximation mp + mn ≈ 2mp in E3 but not making that approximation in E2.

The result for E1 involves small differences and so you need to be careful with any approximations.

Haha, I managed to suss that but forgot to reply, anyway thanks for pointing this stuff out to me it all works :)

1. What is 4-momentum conservation in the context of Deuteron + Photon?

4-momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total 4-momentum (a combination of energy and momentum) of a closed system remains constant before and after an interaction. In the case of Deuteron + Photon, this means that the total 4-momentum of the deuteron and photon before and after their interaction must be equal.

2. Why is 4-momentum conservation important in the study of Deuteron + Photon?

4-momentum conservation is important because it allows us to determine the properties of particles involved in an interaction. By measuring the 4-momentum of the deuteron and photon before and after their interaction, we can calculate their energies, momenta, and masses, which can provide valuable information about the underlying physics of the interaction.

3. What are the key equations used to describe 4-momentum conservation in Deuteron + Photon interactions?

The key equations used to describe 4-momentum conservation in Deuteron + Photon interactions are the conservation of total energy and the conservation of total momentum. These equations can be written as E1 + E2 = E3 + E4 and p1 + p2 = p3 + p4, where E represents the energy and p represents the momentum of the particles involved.

4. How is 4-momentum conservation experimentally verified in Deuteron + Photon interactions?

4-momentum conservation can be experimentally verified by measuring the energies and momenta of the particles involved in an interaction. By comparing the total 4-momentum of the deuteron and photon before and after their interaction, we can determine if 4-momentum is conserved. If the values are not equal, it may indicate the presence of additional particles or unknown interactions.

5. What are the limitations of 4-momentum conservation in Deuteron + Photon interactions?

4-momentum conservation is based on the assumption that the system is closed, meaning that no external forces are acting on the particles involved. However, in the real world, it is nearly impossible to have a perfectly closed system. Additionally, the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics allows for small fluctuations in energy and momentum, which can affect the measurements and calculations of 4-momentum conservation.