4 stroke engine exhaust fed to high air flow

In summary: In order to maintain an efficient combustion rate, the total amount of air and fuel being burned has to be kept at the stoichiometric ratio (chemically correct mixture). A naturally aspirated engine's power (and therefore its fuel consumption) will decrease by about 3.5% per 1,000 ft (300 m) increase in altitude,[15] due to the reduction in air density.In summary, when an aircraft's engine is mounted to a small airplane, its performance decreases due to the decrease in atmospheric density at higher altitudes. To minimize this performance loss, a form of forced induction such as a supercharger may be used. Otherwise, the engine's power output and fuel consumption will decrease as altitude increases. It is important
Chevreuil
Hello,

So say that I have a small four stroke engine that is designed to be kept static at ground level. I then take this engine and mount it to a small air plane, feeding the engine with either still air from inside the cabin (cargo) or the outside wind. The exhaust is fed out to the wind rushing by be plane in flight.

What happens to the performance of my 4 stroke engine? What can I do to minimize performance loss as much as possible? Should I put a venturi valve on it? I am assuming that it is not desirable to change fuel consumption or the engines power output.

If this is a weird question then I'd appreciate some tips on what topics to google. I don't really know much about engines.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
An aircraft's engine performance decreases with altitude due to decreasing atmospheric density; the higher you go in the atmosphere the lower the density of the air. Because of this, there is less oxygen available for combustion.

Atmospheric pressure variation as a function of altitude:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

Atmospheric_Pressure_vs._Altitude.png

A 4-stroke engine will be especially limited unless a form of forced induction is utilized such as a supercharger. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger#Aircraft

Wikipedia.org said:
Superchargers are a natural addition to aircraft piston engines that are intended for operation at high altitudes. As an aircraft climbs to higher altitude, air pressure and air density decreases. The output of a piston engine drops because of the reduction in the mass of air that can be drawn into the engine. For example, the air density at 30,000 ft (9,100 m) is 1⁄3 of that at sea level, thus only 1⁄3 of the amount of air can be drawn into the cylinder, with enough oxygen to provide efficient combustion for only a third as much fuel. So, at 30,000 ft (9,100 m), only 1⁄3 of the fuel burnt at sea level can be burnt.[14]

1. What is a 4 stroke engine?

A 4 stroke engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses four distinct strokes (intake, compression, power, and exhaust) to complete one operating cycle. This type of engine is commonly found in cars, motorcycles, and other vehicles.

2. How is the exhaust fed to high air flow in a 4 stroke engine?

In a 4 stroke engine, the exhaust gases are expelled from the cylinder during the exhaust stroke and are then fed into a system that increases the air flow. This can be achieved through the use of a turbocharger or a supercharger, which compresses air and forces it into the engine at a higher pressure for improved performance.

3. What is the purpose of feeding exhaust to high air flow in a 4 stroke engine?

The primary purpose of feeding exhaust to high air flow in a 4 stroke engine is to improve the engine's overall performance. By increasing the amount of air in the combustion chamber, more fuel can be burned, resulting in more power and better fuel efficiency. This also helps to reduce emissions and improve the engine's longevity.

4. Are there any downsides to feeding exhaust to high air flow in a 4 stroke engine?

While there are many benefits to feeding exhaust to high air flow in a 4 stroke engine, there are some potential downsides as well. This process can generate more heat, which can put added stress on the engine components. It can also increase the risk of engine knocking and can be more expensive to maintain.

5. Can any 4 stroke engine be modified to feed exhaust to high air flow?

Yes, most 4 stroke engines can be modified to feed exhaust to high air flow. However, the specific modifications needed will vary depending on the engine's design and the desired level of performance. It is important to consult with a professional mechanic or engineer before making any modifications to ensure they are done properly and safely.