40 foot shipping containers, yield strength / buckling

In summary, the conversation is about the force that shipping containers can withstand before buckling or bending when placed on a low bridge perpendicular to the shore and exposed to strong ocean waves. The maximum wave force being considered is a tsunami at 2000 kN/m. The safety and feasibility of this situation requires a detailed structural engineering analysis.
Ben Segev
Hi, I am currently needing to place (and weld to the ground) a shipping container on a low bridge that is perpendicular to the shore. I was wondering if anyone knows how much force the sides of the container can withstand before buckling and/or bending. In essence, we have to account for very strong ocean waves (maximum wave is a tsunami at 2000 kN/m) continuously hitting the side of the container.
Thank you, all help is appreciated !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ben Segev said:
Hi, I am currently needing to place (and weld to the ground) a shipping container on a low bridge that is perpendicular to the shore. I was wondering if anyone knows how much force the sides of the container can withstand before buckling and/or bending. In essence, we have to account for very strong ocean waves (maximum wave is a tsunami at 2000 kN/m) continuously hitting the side of the container.
Thank you, all help is appreciated !
Welcome to the PF.

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Shipping containers aren't made to be immersed in seawater...

Hello Ben :welcome:

I read your post and was puzzled: ##\quad## Weld to the ground on a bridge ?

Designed to withstand 200 kN/m ? ( or /m2 ? )
would that be per m (or m2) of the side of the container ?​

Can the bridge itself withstand that ?

This is something that requires a detailed professional structural engineering analysis to be done safely. We cannot provide that here. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman and BvU

What is a 40 foot shipping container?

A 40 foot shipping container is a standardized steel container used for transporting goods by sea, land, or rail. It is 40 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 8.5 feet tall, with a volume capacity of around 2,350 cubic feet.

What is yield strength?

Yield strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand without permanent deformation. In the context of shipping containers, it refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the container before it will permanently bend or deform.

What is buckling?

Buckling is a form of structural failure that occurs when a material, such as a steel shipping container, is subjected to compressive stress. It causes the material to bend or buckle out of shape, reducing its load-bearing capacity and potentially causing it to collapse.

What is the yield strength of a 40 foot shipping container?

The yield strength of a 40 foot shipping container varies depending on its construction and the type of steel used. However, most standard shipping containers have a yield strength of around 50,000 pounds per square inch (psi).

How is buckling prevented in 40 foot shipping containers?

Buckling can be prevented in 40 foot shipping containers through proper design and construction. This includes using high-quality steel and reinforcing the structure with additional support beams or braces. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify any potential weaknesses and prevent buckling from occurring.